Change in Handlers = Displaced Aggression?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Change in Handlers = Displaced Aggression?

Post by GouldieFledge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 am

I moved about a month ago, and my 6 gouldians are still at my father's house. I cannot figure out how to transport them to my rental house; the cage is too large and became I custom-made it, I can't really disassemble/reassemble. Instead I've been going over there regularly to check on them, make sure they're good on food and such. My father has been changing the water dishes for me and turning the lights on/off at night. Still wrapping my head around moving them, I may need to break down and get (or make) a new cage.

I was at my dad's for a while last night and everyone seems to be fine, still looking happy/healthy. Feathers are nice and sleek; my last pair is finishing up w/their moult, final pin feathers growing out. When it was lights out time, though, I noticed they seemed to be way more aggressive/territorial when finding their sleeping spots for the night--everyone was on the defense, open-beaking at any bird nearby, squabbling/pecking one another off of various swings/ladder/etc. I never noticed this behavior before, while I was still actually living there and seeing them every single day.

Is this purely coincidental? Is this the effect of entering breeding season? Or is it possible that they've noticed the change in routine/person seeing them regularly, and are therefore being more "testy" with one another in frustration?