Is this normal

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Is this normal

Post by Barbara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:32 pm

I am suppose to be geting a pair of gouldian's this week-end and so I wanted to get there cage ready.I had a pair of owls in a cage 32"long21"wide no nest for about 3weeks. I have six society ,no nest in three joined F030 cages so it is over 9 ft long and 27"wide.I put them in this morning and there is a lot of panic going on .The male owl is chasing the other owl she seems to be afraid of him, this causes the society to panic in flight and they are really trying to stay all together,then it calms down for a while then starts up again.I didn'the notice any of this behavior with the owls before when they were together they seemed fine and would eat together,sleep together,My question is do you think they will be OK together and they are just not use to the cage.At one point he had the female on the bottom of the cage not sure they were fighting or ????? Now She is not going anywhere near him Any ideas I am hoping I do not have to take them out because it will be really hard to catch them would be easier to catch the six society if I had too.but then the female would still be with the male owl? Don't want any casualties :cry:
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is this normal

Post by lovezebs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Barbara

He may be in breeding mode, and she might not be on the same page. I'd hang lots of greenery in the flight, so that she has different hiding spots to get away from your overly enthusiastic Romeo.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Ohhh there is all kinds of greenery and perches he didn'the chase her in the other cage just when I put them in with the society like immediately he stared chasing her and freaking my gentle society out.All that I read says owls are fine with society ,so this is all very unexpected.I shut down light early to see if that calms things down, but may try to take them out tomorrow if there going to continue spooking the society family.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Barbara
If the behavior continues in the morning, maybe you could try to lure the society into another cage and see how the two owls behave alone, then just leave the cage there for them to come and go for a while and see if things calm down. Might be worth a try. I hope you have good luck settling everything down !!! [-o<
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Betty I can't believe it they were fine and now it's a big mess,was trying to give them more room but I think I might have to try to get the owl out somehow maybe use the way you used to catch black widow (we should put them together !!!!!) Then the gouldian's will have to go in the smaller cage and then go in with society leave Owls alone in in the cage they were in they were geting along fine ,I feel so bad for my society family :cry: thanks for the encouragement
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Barbara, no problem. Let us know how things are going ! :(
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Re: Is this normal new question

Post by Barbara » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Well I did get them out of the cage with my melow society, they are in separate cages for fear of what the male will do tho the female,much to my surprise they are both males singing up a storm.Now what can I do will they fight if I put them back together in the first cage I had them in.is this what they will do unless there in with all males is that why there was chaos in the society cage because there are males and females .When you have a flight cage with mixed kinds of finches that all the reading says they get along I have 6 society in one cage males and females/ a pair of goldbreast and a pair of red cheeked that are males and female pairs in another cage .will the owls fight no matter what cage I put them in unless it is a all male cage ?Any advice would help I have plenty of room in either cage but do not want fighting ,the cage the owls were in is only 31"X21" I was hoping I could put them in one of the other flights 2- F030 or 3 -F030 combined

Last bumped by Barbara on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:25 pm.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked