3 goulds in a nest ... anyone else?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
ALittleBirdKeeper
Pip
Pip

3 goulds in a nest ... anyone else?

Post by ALittleBirdKeeper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm not really bothered by this but just wondered if anyone else has ever had this.

Basically I put 3 pairs of gouldians in an aviary, lets call them Pairs A, B and C.

Pairs A and B have gone to nest ... and Pair C have split up and one went with Pair A and the other with Pair B! As in they are actually sharing incubating and now feeding duties.

One trio is actually sitting on two separate clutches within one slightly wider than usual finch nest so I'm hoping they don't turn on each other's babies but other than that, they all seem very happy with the arrangement.

So yeah, anyone else ever experience something like this with their birdies?!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: 3 goulds in a nest ... anyone else?

Post by Sheather » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:38 pm

Well society finches do it all the time, so it can work.
~Dylan

~~~

GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: 3 goulds in a nest ... anyone else?

Post by GouldieFledge » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:10 pm

ALittleBirdKeeper, this happened to me! My first experience with letting my gouldians breed, I had a M/F pair that ended up with an additional male tagging along to help. So it was a trio effort in raising the clutch. If I remember correctly, 3 babies hatched, but only 1 survived. And that baby is doing great now!

I don't think the female was entirely happy about it, and she had passed away suddenly during the incubating period. But that 2nd male took over and did all parenting duties with the father (sitting, feeding, etc).