Lonely Sweet Pea

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Tweet
Hatchling
Hatchling

Lonely Sweet Pea

Post by Tweet » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:02 pm

I had a pair of Java finches, Shaquille and Sweet Pea, both about 8-9 years old. The male, Shaquille, died a few weeks ago and Sweet Pea and I are both bereft. While they weren’t hand tame, they were very cordial with me and scolded me if I forgot their greens or egg food, tweeted loudly when they heard me coming toward my office (I swear they could tell my footsteps from others!) and generally enjoyed my company, doing silly things to catch my attention.
So now Sweet Pea is alone in a large, well-furnished flight cage, 32x22 inches. (The cage calculator says 2–3 birds can live in a cage this size.) My question is what to do next. Should I buy a young male to keep her company, or will he pester her too much. (I would not, of course, put the breeding box in with them because of her age) Should I get both a young male and female to put in with her, or would that cause turf wars. I want her to be happy and not have to live alone, and at the same time, I’m moving toward a mated pair again. I’d sure appreciate some suggestions or advice.
3 Java Sparrows, Sora the Doberman, Aspen - Friesian/Appaloosa horse

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Lonely Sweet Pea

Post by Sheather » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:17 am

I would get her one younger companion, ideally another hen. When she passes away in the next few years you can then get a new male partner for the younger bird remaining.

Alternately, another cage next to her's with a new breeding pair. She'd have ambient companionship without the worry of the younger pair bullying her (which would be likely with Javas if you put a pair in with her.)
~Dylan

~~~

Tweet
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Tweet » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks Sheather!
Anyone else have an opinion, suggestion or comment? Anybody?
3 Java Sparrows, Sora the Doberman, Aspen - Friesian/Appaloosa horse

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:15 am

I agree with everything Sheather has said. A young male would probably pester her too much, as he would be in breeding mode and she wouldn't.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am

Tweet

Could you possibly find an older bird (from someone who wishes to rehome their bird)?

I think mybe that may work better than a much younger companion.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by camorrow » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:47 pm

I think the perk of a younger companion is you don't run the risk of her having to go through another loss, or at least as much as you can control such things. Adding an older companion means that you also likely have to repeat the same process in the next few years, even if it's the new, but older, companion that outlives Sweet Pea. I like the idea of another young female that you can then give a young male friend when the time comes.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 pm

You could get an extra cage and put the new pair in that cage, then get a female to put in with her. That way she won't be alone in her cage.