Advice on keeping birds while pregnant?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
artgecko
Mature
Mature

Advice on keeping birds while pregnant?

Post by artgecko » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:41 am

I was not sure which forum this would fit in, so please move if needed mods.

Has anyone here ever kept their finches / birds while pregnant or with young children? My husband and I are thinking of starting a family in the next couple of years and my mother told me yesterday that birds can carry toxoplasmosis (like cats) and that I would need to wear gloves and a mask while cleaning their cage or feeding... I already use gloves while cleaning out my reptiles and rodents, so this was not new to me, but wearing a mask and concerns about air-borne issues was.

I am already aware of the precautions I need to take with my other pets, but was curious how some of you handled this... Did you wear a mask, use gloves, use a HEPA filter near the cage or any other precautions? Did any of your relatives give you grief about keeping birds while pregnant? I am sure my mother is over-reacting, but just wanted to find out what others experienced... I am enjoying my birds so much and want to be able to give her accurate information as well as take any precautions I need to take.. If it makes a difference, I currently have canaries and a pair of budgies and treat for mites and worms during quarantine.

Thank you for your time / help!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Advice on keeping birds while pregnant?

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:13 pm

artgecko

I honestly don't know if birds can pass on anything to you or your future baby(s).

I do however know, that I kept birds forever, since I was a kid, during pregnancy, while raising two babies, and we never had any problems. No gloves, no masks, no special filters, no issues whatsover :D

I suppose you could check with your family doctor, or with your ob/gyn, if you or mom are still concerned about it.

BTW, I also had 3 cats at the time, without any issues, but that's another forum, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Pet birds do not carry Taxoplasmosis.

People have been panicking about exposing unborn children to pets since people have kept pets. I think a lot of it is overreaction. Just keep things clean, wash your hands after handling them or their environment, and you should be good to go.
~Dylan

~~~

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks guys!
I thought she was overreacting. I also own a cat and was aware that I'd need to get my husband to do his litter box and I also keep reptiles and know all about washing hands, etc. I was just not sure if there was anything to catching something from dust / air-borne residue from their droppings.

I will check with my family doctor just in case, but everything that I've read says that most risk was from wild birds or larger birds (like parrots) that are infected with rarer disease that are transferable.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:15 am

artgecko

Good luck with your growing family :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:09 am

Lovezebs- Thanks! :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:36 pm

artgecko

Do keep us updated.
~Elana~