New bird introduction

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

New bird introduction

Post by camorrow » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:36 pm

So I was finally able to get another male to put in with my single female. Last night I introduced him to her cage, and she seemed pleasantly curious at first, but then she started chasing him around overnight. The other pair in a separate cage are also really agitated.

I've never introduced a new bird, so is this behavior pretty common? I've also attached pictures of the new kid. I'm fairly certain it's a male, but just in case I got it wrong. :roll: His cheek patches are much more diffuse than my other male, and he doesn't have quite the standard chest markings.
Attachments
IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5806.JPG

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New bird introduction

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:18 pm

camorrow

He's a cutie! I really like his colour.

Regarding introducing new birds....

It is usually recommended to quarantine new birds for a period of time, to make sure that you don't introduce any disease to your home birds.

After this period of quarantine, it's advised to place the new bird in a cage close to your other birds, so that they can see each other and get to know one another. Then it's advised that you remove both birds, and change things around in the main cage, like moving the perches and food dishes and decorations around a bit. It's only after that process that you place them in a cage together.

That said, it now would be like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped, lol.

Seeing that they are already together, I would keep a close eye, to see that they are getting along. Zebras, both male and female are territorial by nature, and don't like intruders in their space.

I would make certain, that you have two seed and two water dishes at opposite sides of the cage. Also two high perches for sleeping, so that they don't have to fight over them.

I would also add some new greenery, maybe a new swing etc.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by camorrow » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:46 pm

I did quarantine and rearrange the cage. Unfortunately the quarantine cage was one I borrowed and gave back last night (jumping the gun, I know). It occurred to me that putting him in a cage beside hers might have been a good idea AFTER she started chasing him.

I've seen him eating regularly today (it's my weekend), and I've seen him check out the water tube. There's also a clean bird bath attached, which I assume would work as well for drinking (Winky doesn't really do baths hardly ever).

camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by camorrow » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:48 pm

I was also wondering if his condition says anything about his age. Either he's really chunky or he's maybe young? The other three are all lean long, while he's more short in length and pudgy. It kind of gives the impression of "baby fat", but it could just be variety that I haven't seen in the other three. His feathers just also look more downy, especially in the chest, than the sleekness of the others. Of course the pet store, the only place to acquire them around here, had no idea of age.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:16 am

camorrow

I was just wondering how the new bird was doing now?

camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by camorrow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:44 am

The squabbling died down almost entirely after the first day or two, and they were just coexisting. As of tonight though they were bedding down side by side in the ring perch, which is what Winky used to do gen she was housed with the other pair. So I THINK the Cold War is maybe coming to an end, and they're actually becoming buddies.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or not, but Dobby, the new male, was doing quite the courtship song most of the day today (it's my "Saturday"). He's been meeping and beeping the whole time, but I haven't heard him sing before.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:17 am

Sounds like Dobby is happy and they are getting comfortable with each other.
Glad to hear things r going well with the lone female and new male.

It will be interesting to see if Dobby is young and gets darker bar stripes and check patches.

camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by camorrow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:46 pm

That's my question too. He doesn't even really have the distinctive "Zebra" striping on the chest. There are a few small patches of them, but I was under the impression that they typically cover the whole chest.