Vacuum / Flooring

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Vacuum / Flooring

Post by zebsoc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:01 am

What vacuum(s) do you use and for what kind of flooring?

I recently purchased Dylos air quality particle device.
I have been having problems breathing and coughing when in my Livingroom with the birds since I got my parakeets (didn't have this problem with only the finches)

It's wasn't too bad until the parakeets got sick with all the purifiers going due to being drafty for them and I stopped using the purifiers.
Only use away from them and only occasionally.

It is especially difficult when I clean them, especially with vacuuming, which of course gets done first before start on cages.

Today was first day testing the air with the dylos.

In the morning with 2 purifiers and cool morning, quality was acceptable range and I waz breathing ok no coughing.

After as the place warmed with unusually warm weather lately (which I love) the dylos air quality showed air worsening.and my beathing a bit difficult if anywhere near birds but not bad as long as not close.
So my breathing was matching the increase dylos was showing by birds.

Evening I checked quality which was on poor side and then vacuumed.
After vacuuming checked and quality had gone to Way Way Way over very bad.
Even 1/2 hr later still Double what it had been before vacuuming.
(Still having some trouble with breathing and coughing since vacummed several hrs later)

I was using a cheap bagless Walmart vacuum.
For Vinyl flooring that I placed over carpet for bird area.
I noticed the vacuum spit out the back quite a lot of what it took in the front. Took 2-3 pass to pick up what it kicked back.

I can't use a masked because my glasses always fog up no matter what.

So I'm looking into vacuums.
Any suggestions that r reasonably priced under $100 , to $200 max?

All that floating into the air is also not good for the birds either.

What flooring have people used for covering carpet? That is easiest to clean?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Vacuum / Flooring

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 am

zebsoc

I would get a good vacuume with a hepa filter.

If you are experiencing problems breathing and coughing a lot, I would rehome your Budgies. Budgies create a lot of dust, which Finches do not. This dust can cause some major lung problems which you should be aware of.

Here's one of my threads from some time ago which you may find helpful.

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32015

Air purifiers with hepa filters can be helpful as well ( absolutely no ionizers, they are deadly to birds, and not good for your lungs either). However the filters have to be cleaned and changed quite often.

My floors are hardwood, covered with a light outdoor mat covering the wood. I try to sweep and vacuume daily, and lightly damp mop with a solution of water, vinegar, baking soda, and a few drops of Dawn dish soap. This cleans off bird poopies, keeps the dust down, and smells fresh and clean.

Good luck
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:07 am

lovezebs - thank you for your response, info
And for the link

I've ordered 2 new air purifiers, tho I noticed now that I have the Dylos, that it also matters where I place them. If they r on the floor near the birds they can stir things up especially when the birds fly and help carry it into the air.

With the Dylos it shows that the purifiers really make a difference tho while the birds are activity it is hard to keep it low enough for me. Takes at least 4 purifiers.

I may have to give up the parakeets but I'm trying everything I can before I have to make that final decision since they r great chatters and just great company.

I have rehomed 2 birds in hope that would help but the parakeets r definitely the problem for me.

The society finches r very cute, but they r fairly quiet and not as interesting as the parakeets that love to play with a variety of toys.

One of my parakeets likes a bit of bathing now and then. The other 3 not so much. One not that I've ever seen.
In the summer I sprayed them with water to also help keep them cool.
For winter what temperature would be ok to spray them a little?
They don't really like spraying unless it's really hot weather and just a short spray or they try to move away.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:27 pm

zebsoc

I hope the purifiers help, but bird dust can really cause problems, so I thought it's something you ought to be aware of.

Reg Budgies and bathing, my 2 never bathe, but they will rub up against wet greens that I hang in their cage, then flutter around like mad :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:59 pm

lovezebs - will try the wet greens thanks :)
And thank you for the information on the bird dander because it is what is affecting my breathing and having them in my living space,
As well as for anyone visiting since they r in the Livingroom
I need to really see if the dander can be kept to a minimum with parakeets or not.

Thinking if I have to give up the parakeets, maybe go back to zebra finches whichare more aactive and definitely more chattering than the society.

Tried zebra but had a very aggressive female which made it a difficult experience so decided on parakeets which my 4 r very pretty and enjoyable.
Didn't expect a dander problem since with purifiers the society and zebras hadnt caused a problem.
The purifiers unfortunately seem to help Spread the dander when the parakeets are active. Their powdery dander is much more of a challenge.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 pm

zebsoc

Do you have another option (like an extra room) where you could move the cages to, so that they wouldn't be right in your living space?
~Elana~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 pm

lovezebs - unfortunately no extra room in my apartment. Would love a place with an extra room for them but too expensive. :(
Last evening when I turned on the purifiers the dylos went Up instead of down. Don't sure if the dylos is working right or the purifiers weren't helping. #-o

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:07 pm

I use a shop-vac for my birds and it works like a charm.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:57 pm

Shannylee - what is the type and name of shop vac?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 am

Shannylee and zebsoc

It's funny you mentioned a shop-vac.

I dug up a super ancient model from my Dad's basement, and brought it up to the bird room. It did work like a charm. However when I turned around, I noticed that there were all sorts of feathers all over the floor.
Well silly me, I thought that I simply missed them and sucked them up :D , only to turn around and see more feathers on the floor .... :shock:

It took me four runs, to realize that for some reason the feathers were being blown out through the other end of the Shop Vac #-o

I still haven't figured out what's going on with it, lol. It really does have great suction, the seeds and other stuff stay in it, but the feathers for some reason get blown out again.... :roll:

So for now, it's back to my regular vacuume cleaner :wink:
~Elana~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:15 pm

lovezebs - lol

I have started using only the hose on the vacuum which takes a lot longer since the bird area is about 10' by 6' plus still have to vacuum the carpet around the area.
Dylos read Much Much less particles in the air that way.

Read online that with upright it's the brushes that makes the stuff go everywhere.
May try to see if can remove brushes from 1 vac and if that works.

Bird feathers and seed hulls r so hard to manage they float into the air so easily. #-o
My parakeets shed feathers so badly.

I shouldn't have the parakeets since I am very allergic to their dander and they r in my livingroom. But they r so cute and active and chatty such nice company and enjoyment. Pictures below.
Attachments
20160715_155345-1.jpg
20160715_155324-1.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:42 pm

zebsoc

They are beautiful, and I know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of them, but when it comes to major health issues....

I also use a damp cloth to wipe off a lot of the dust, and a damp mop on the floor after sweeping and vacuuming, and that seems to help somewhat.

Here's my Freebie, sending her good wishes to your crew.... :D
Attachments
20141026_111357-1_1.jpg
~Elana~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:58 pm

lovezebs - she is so cute, lovely