Over a month old and largely featherless?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
pidgepudge
Pip
Pip

Over a month old and largely featherless?

Post by pidgepudge » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:11 pm

So I had a clutch of 6 zebra finches all successfully hatch and thrive, but when the babies were about 20 days old, after fully fledging, I noticed something weird. Three of the six babies were still largely featherless! Their heads and wings were fully feathered, but for the most part their bodies were still pretty bare. Now they're over a month old, and one of the three finally got its feathers, but the other two, who are the youngest and were the last to hatch, still have mostly naked bodies.

They otherwise are super healthy looking, they're mostly weaned and the parents aren't picking on them so it's not feather loss exactly, it's like they just didn't come in. I'm assuming they'll likely just come in with the adult molt because I've seen a similar thing in pigeons before, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to why this may happen?
Attachments
Here's the youngest to show you how it looks
Here's the youngest to show you how it looks

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Over a month old and largely featherless?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 pm

pidgepudge

Someone is plucking him.
Maybe they don't do it when your're watching, but someone is doing it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:58 pm

That's definitely plucking, but it will grow back once they're away from their parents.
~Dylan

~~~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:54 am

adult molt does not happen in the nest....when molting they do not loose all the feathers... plucking. If the feathers do not grow back at all after being away from the parents you need to look for other reasons this is happening.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

pidgepudge
Pip
Pip

Post by pidgepudge » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:43 am

lovezebs sheather cindy I guess I might not have been as clear as I thought I was being, I should have elaborated more I think, but I'm really pretty certain that these babies quite literally never got the feathers in on their bodies. Even while still in the nest in the prickly feather stage, these ones had pins on their heads and wings by not bodies. When I inspect them, they show none of the other signs that would suggest plucking like irritated skin or broken/damaged feathers still attached- and I've dealt with plucking across several bird species under the guidance of a vet so I like to think I know what to look for. I can also see the feather tracts along their bodies and there's a hint of pin feathers, but just barely.

I've seen a similar thing in pigeons before where the babies for whatever reason don't get their juvenile feathers, but after fully growing and undergoing their adult molt they grow feathers just fine. I've only seen it happen very rarely, but the similarity is there. There's just stunted growth on the initial feathers they get while in the nest, which is what I suspect for these babies.
Zebra finch hobbyist located in Northern Utah.
I work professionally in the husbandry of show pigeons & laboratory zebra finches, and I also rehabilitate injured and sick finches.

I'm the artist of the lovely Archangel Pigeon in my avatar!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:56 am

pidgepudge

Sorry, but I have never come across nestlings/ fledglings who do not grow feathers.

Is there enough protein in their diet, such as eggs, eggfood, etc?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

pidgepudge
Pip
Pip

Post by pidgepudge » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:59 am

lovezebs yeah they get hard boiled egg daily along with fresh veggies, and I put the morning bird breeders blend over the top as well every other day or so.
Zebra finch hobbyist located in Northern Utah.
I work professionally in the husbandry of show pigeons & laboratory zebra finches, and I also rehabilitate injured and sick finches.

I'm the artist of the lovely Archangel Pigeon in my avatar!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:01 pm

pidgepudge

Then I'm stumped :-??

Hhopefully your kids will grow some feathers soon.
~Elana~