interesting zebra finch hen behaviour

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

interesting zebra finch hen behaviour

Post by anma » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Evening everyone.

So! A little background info:

/ I have a Beautiful zebra finch hen. I bought her from a breeder(only breeder in town sadly, so I couldn't get a pair to avoid inbreeding) She was just ready to relocate when I got her.
I work at home as a 3d modeller, so she's in the cage just next to my desk.
I handled her a lot for a few weeks because she had a little eye infection and I had to give her eye drops twice a day- her eyes are perfectly alright now:) ).
A few weeks ago I started letting her out of the cage, and since last week she's basically free all the time. She's familiar with the room, and with me, I can get really close to her(basically bump her with my head-) without making her nervous-move- she flies back to her cage to eat, drink, sleep, and she perches on the side of the cage most of the time, so there's no problem with the bird poop at all.
She beeps back every time I say something to her.I like analysing her vocalisations, the confused beeps when I clean the cage, the little honks, loud beeping, or when she greets her mirror. /

Now the interesting part:
Just came back from the town and made some "kissing" sounds when greeting her(bit silly I know) And she made some new sounds, and she was leaning towards me, lifting and vibrating her tail feathers. Then she flew and landed on my head several times. Is this...some kind of breeding behaviour? Aggression? Acceptance?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: interesting zebra finch hen behaviour

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:39 am

anma

Your girlie is in love.....with you, lol.

Yes, she wants to breed :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by anma » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:09 pm

lovezebs wrote: anma

Your girlie is in love.....with you, lol.

Yes, she wants to breed :D
Oh dear...haha

Also, I tried it again today , vibrating the tail feathers etc at first...but then a few hours later I've made a kissing sound again which probably sounded like a zebra finch hissing, and she kind of attacked me. Flew right to my face making an "aggressive beep". I think I'll stop with the silly sounds haha. I don't want to confuse poor thing.
Still, I think these sounds and reactions are interesting!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:17 pm

anma

Indeed!
She figures that you just teasing her, while you should be building a nice nest by now, and feeding her tasty spray millet treats (kinda like the wine and dine of the Zebra world) =))
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by anma » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:25 pm

lovezebs wrote: anma

Indeed!
She figures that you just teasing her, while you should be building a nice nest by now, and feeding her tasty spray millet treats (kinda like the wine and dine of the Zebra world) =))
I think that's actually part of this misunderstanding.I have her millet treats, and her favourite- cucumber, so it was kind of like a romantic dinner haha

anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by anma » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:07 pm

I mean I gave her millets, and cucumber. Ugh,sorry for the typos, it's late here.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:15 pm

anma

Now if she lays eggs for you and you do not obediently help her sit on them, she will hunt you down room after room after room.
*giggling*

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:30 pm

anma

Well, now you're in for it :)

Building a nest, sitting on the eggs.....if they hatch, you're really in trouble.... :-S :-S :-S
~Elana~