Interesting Interactions

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Interesting Interactions

Post by Moon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:12 am

Has anyone ever noticed their finch sing to eggs and nestlings of other birds? Not Finch. Mine have been singing to the baby pigeons nesting near their enclosures and even feeding them. Despite the presence of the parents and their own nesting behaviors I caught this behavior only recently.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Interesting Interactions

Post by w.l. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:11 am

Are those feral pigeons?
If so, it might be best to get rid of them, they carry all kinds of nasty avian diseases.

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:32 pm

They're tamed. Brought from a responsible breeder.
New Mexico

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Moon, my Bronze Winged Mannikin hens helped feed the canary babies that just fledged. I watched them close to make sure that they weren't trying to hurt the babies because Mannikins can be little monsters. They fed them and would "babysit" on the rare occasions when the canary mom left the nest.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 pm

That's interesting. Very interesting. Thank you. I know my birds were able to breed and co-habituate in their original enclosures. I've even got a large breed rooster who stalks me til I feed all the other birds before he'll eat...

He's terrified of my indoor birds though. Falls off the outside enclosures anytime they're out there.
New Mexico

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Moon

That's hilarious!
You should make a video of that.

Birds, are interesting creatures when it comes to baby birds.
They can be amazingly vicious at times and rip babies apart, dump them out of the nest, maim them, drown them, starve them, etc.

And other times, they will adopt orphan eggs, raise unwanted chicks of other species, sing to other babies, feed other babies, keep them warm, and so on.

Go figure.....
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:53 pm

Shannylee wrote: Moon, my Bronze Winged Mannikin hens helped feed the canary babies that just fledged. I watched them close to make sure that they weren't trying to hurt the babies because Mannikins can be little monsters. They fed them and would "babysit" on the rare occasions when the canary mom left the nest.
Bengalese/societies are descended from the white-rumped mannikin/munia. SUPER friendly calm finches who frequently foster other species' chicks.

Maybe its a trait of the genus.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.