Found possible pet bullfinch

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
harvey
Pip
Pip

Found possible pet bullfinch

Post by harvey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Hello,
My brother found an adult male bullfinch and he's incredibly friendly. We've named him frank and we're not sure what to do with him. He can't fly, but there is no obvious wing injury. Is it possible he's an escaped pet? He doesn't have a ring on his leg, so i'm not sure if he's wild. He also seems to be begging for food sometimes by opening his beak wide and looking at us until we give him a mealworm. So I suppose my question is what is my next step? Should I buy him a cage? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't survive in the wild if I released him. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Found possible pet bullfinch

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:06 pm

harvey

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If your bird can't fly, I would definitely NOT release him. Out on his own, he would very quickly become prey to the first cat or dog that comes along.

If he's tame, then he probably belongs to someone, and somehow got out and got lost. Is there a way for you to advertise something along the likes of: "Tame bird found, if missing your pet, please call to identify". You could also check around with Bird Rescue Orginizations, in your area, as to what they would recommend to do with him.

In the meanwhile, I would place him in a cardboard box, with a warm light over a section of the box, shade over the other end, and offer some water, and some wild bird seed with sunflowers (and some mealworms if he appears to enjoy them).

If you hear nothing back about him, then you'll have to decide as to whether you want to keep him or call in a Bird Rescue Orginization to remove him.

Please keep us updated.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:02 pm

harvey I agree with lovezebs, if it can't fly, then it would quickly be killed by some predator. If it is that tame, then it probably is a pet. You can try to find the owner, or if you can't, you can try to keep the bird yourself.

Where are you located? If you put your general location in your profile, it will help members give you suggestions on where to take the bird if you can't find the owner and can't keep it yourself.

Welcome to the forum!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:04 am

Is it possible that the bird is a wild baby bird just learning to fly? If it was opening it's beak for you to feed it, it may not be eating on it's own. If that is the case, either you will need to feed it, or find a wildlife rehabilitator who can feed baby birds.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:36 am

wildbird

I first thought about that too, however I don't think wild bullfinches breed in December! :-)

harvey
Pip
Pip

Post by harvey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:44 pm

After asking around, I've discovered that someone who keeps birds (including a large finch aviary) has recently left the area, and it's likely to have belonged to him, whether it's an escape or release. I've decided to keep him since I've grown quite attached to him. I'm collecting a large indoor cage today and I'm planning on moving him to an outdoor aviary in a few weeks. Thanks for the help!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:01 pm

harvey

Well, enjoy your new little boy.
Would love too see some pictures of him.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~