Lost My Sammy Today....

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Lost My Sammy Today....

Post by Jen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:30 pm

My two cockatiels were out of their cage today for free flying. I decided to let them out because Lola, my female in the cage with Sammy, was flapping her wings and flitting around like she needed to fly. So I let her and Sammy out for a time. And of course, not thinking, which is when the unthinkable happens, I walked through the door to go outside, and at the same time Sammy flew to my shoulder with my back turned to him and when I opened the door he touched my shoulder then he was gone...... I am heartsick.....I have looked for him and called to him all day. I took Lola outside in her cage and she has called to him and he called to her but he wouldn't leave the tree tops. I plan on getting up early in the morning and taking Lola outside and try to see if he is still around. I am sick and so upset...my Sammy had such a loveable personality and so sweet.....maybe the stars will line up tomorrow and he will come home.....say a prayer.... [-o<

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Lost My Sammy Today....

Post by Sheather » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:53 pm

They do come back.
My society finch got out, flew several blocks, and still returned. Leave your other bird in hi earshot, and if he vanishes, put up flyers. A tame bird will eventually go to someone when he is hungry enough and he will likely be found.
~Dylan

~~~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:08 am

Sheather
Thank you Dylan. I needed to hear something positive today. I was pretty hopeful all day because I have had zebras and cordon blue escape and I was able to recapture them all.....so when Sammy flew off, being tame and pretty friendly to strangers, I was hopeful that I would have him back tonight. But that didn't happen and it is cold tonight and very windy and I'm not feeling so positive. We won't give up...my son was out tonight calling for him and I will be up at he crack of dawn with Lola trying to find him....fingers and toes crossed... [-o<

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:52 am

Jen Oh, so sorry that happened to you and Sammy! Be sure to post ads on craigslist so if someone finds him, they can return him to you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:36 am

Jen

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed over here Jenny.

Put out food in plain sight, and water, and Lola. If anyone can draw him back, it will be his mate.

Good luck my dear [-o<
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am

Jen

So sorry to hear this....I just wanted to add you can also contact your local animal shelter and put up some flyers in your neighborhood. There are a number of facebook groups too, which focus on finding lost pets.

Keeping my fingers crossed, and let us know when you find him!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 am

Jen

Oh dear! I am so sorry! Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping his little woman can woo him back home! [-o<

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm keeping the faith on this one!!! I read of a similar story here. A neighbor found the bird!! I'm praying Sammy will return!!
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Jen

Oh no!! I'm so sorry. I will keep positive thoughts for you and be thinking of you. I have heard of so many coming back especially if he has a mate.
Mary Mac

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am

Thank you everyone for all the kind thoughts and prayers. I came home today on my lunch hour to see if I could find Sammy in my home area. I have about 3 acreas of wooded area) I took Lola, his love, in a small carrying cage with me (she totally hated it and squawked the whole time). That worked! Sammy returned some birdie verbiage to Lola and they squawked for a while but Sammy flew off in another direction away from my home. He was so high up in the trees and flying free it was a little heart wrenching.....I gave up after a time because I had to return to work but left Lola in a cage on my front porch.

Tonight after work Lola and I walked thru the wooded area for a long time and then finally Sammy spoke up! We spotted him up in the trees and he flew about and returned "conversation" with Lola for a while......but it grew dark and we gave up.

So tomorrow, plan B. I have a cage with a divider that I will put Lola in on one side and will leave the other side open with food and water......maybe, just maybe....Sammy will find his way to her. Sammy seems freaked out and "wild" so I'm hoping he will be hungry and lonely and find his way to the cage and food Tomorrow is another day....another try.....say a little prayer....

Jenny

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 am

Jen
That's a great idea!!! Unfortunately sometimes they have to get a little desperate to get to the point of contact. I'm keeping very positive thoughts for you! The fact that he's staying close is good.
We have to catch Pelicans here in Arizona at the lake where I work. Storms blow them in from California! But they have to be tired and hungry before we can rescue them.
Hang in there we are pulling for you!
Hugs :wink:
Mary Mac

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 am

He is still in the area, so that is good. Hopefully, he will be hungry tomorrow. The idea of using a divided cage is a good one, as he may be drawn to Lola. Praying for his safe return.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:15 am

Jen

Keeping you in my thoughts.

As long as he's staying in the vicinity it's a good sign.
If the double cage fails, you might have to set up a little trap for him.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:59 am

Jen, the divided cage worked for me when one of my whydahs escaped. If your bird is used to going in and out of the door on his own, I would put his favorite snacks inside the cage. The whydah wouldn't go through the opened door to get to the food so I put the food dish on the outside of the cage and the water inside. He came down to eat and then hopped inside for water. Good luck! It's a good sign that he's staying close to home.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Shannylee
Thanks for your comments. I was not able to come home at lunch time today, which is the best time to look for Sammy. I left Lola out in the divided cage, food and water for Sammy, but I didn't see any sign of him showing up. Tomorrow is a new day, but every day that goes by means he's getting hungry and possibly flying off in search and maybe getting lost forever.....

Jenny