Can my owls "break up"???

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
artist
Pip
Pip

Can my owls "break up"???

Post by artist » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:41 pm

This may be a bad post being so close to Valentine's day but, it seems as my owl finch pair no longer get along. I've had them since April or May of 2016 and was told they are male and female. We have never had eggs even though we have nests etc....they were so incandescently in love until about a week or two ago. Now they have light scuffles and sometimes sleep in desperate nests! Is this normal? I suspect they might be molting as well...could that cause this domestic unrest?
I just adore my little owl couple and hate to see them unhappy....advise please....

alyse36
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Can my owls "break up"???

Post by alyse36 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Oh no! That is such a sad post!
I'm only 4 days into finches, and don't have owls, but I hope someone can help you out! Maybe they just need some "space" :)
Alyse
*~*~*
Pickett-Black Cheek Zebra Finch (gotcha 2/11/17)
Poppy-Zebra Finch (gotcha 2/11/17)
Chica-Crimson Bellied Conure (gotcha 2/1/14)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm

artist

Do they need mediation? A good divorce lawyer? Sorry, couldn't help myself :)

Owls, are so difficult to sex....
I'm wondering, if you ended up with two males(?)
If that's the case, it would explain the "no eggs". It might also explain the sudden change in dynamics between the two. Both might be getting into breeding mode, and there are no girls around.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Elana... sounds like you may have two of the same sex. Do they sing at all? If so, can you tell if it's both of them or just one? If just one, is it always the same one?

Here are a couple of pics of our owls. This is a confirmed male/female pair. The one with the yellow leg band is the male. You'll notice his face is nearly pure white, while hers has a little bit of steely blue mixed in. Also, his chest bar is much thicker than hers. So yes, they look very much alike, but there are differences that are usually noticeable. As long as you know what to look for... ;)

artist
Pip
Pip

Post by artist » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Here Is a picture. Are they girls or boys? They look a little shabby lately.
Attachments
IMG_1865.JPG

artist
Pip
Pip

Post by artist » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 pm

And another two pictures....it's hard to tell from the small screen on my phone but I think this is one pic of Edgar and one of Mary. Assuming , one is a boy and one a girl...
Attachments
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:36 am

The one with the blue leg band does look like a female. Do you hear any singing at all? The females will make "meep" sounds, but they do not sing. Check the sound clips at this link - middle of the page, just above the pictures. Do you hear anything like this?

Finch Info Center - Owl Finches

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 pm

artist
This was so weird to see this post!!! My 2 owls are having the same issues... They seemed to be getting along so well and have recently started squabbling and sleeping in separate areas. But I know I have 2 boys now, as my new one has just started singing! But after a week of problems I've removed the nest during the day today, next thing I know, they are perching next to each other and preening each other. I put the nest back in just before lights out and they both went in to settle for the night. Go figure!!! So I plan on taking the nest out in the morning and see if we can all get along tomorrow! [-o<
Mary Mac

artist
Pip
Pip

Post by artist » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:27 pm

DamonIRB- Wow. I listened to what you sent and mine sing much slower that the cock song from Finch Info Center. More like a sad cat meow. I love it! I wonder if they are females? One usually sings a bedtime song. He/she sings it when the sun goes down....I'm going to listen more carefully and try to figure it out!

Nestling- I hope your owls get along!

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:24 pm

artist

I sadly do not own any owl finches, but yours are very beautiful.
I have heard them and they remind me of the wild catbirds we have in our area during the summer months. Just like listening to a kitten. :) .
I hope you have good luck in sexing them. :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

artist
Pip
Pip

Post by artist » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank you. You should get some. Our whole family just adores them.