What's your location?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

What's your location?

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:54 am

I've noticed some people here don't have a location listed. It's a lot easier to have a good discussion if we know at least the general area where you live. Often we don't even know what country you live in.

I know many people are worried about privacy. Even an general indication like 'Pacific Northwest, USA' is enough.

Weather or temperatures or day length or even winter / summer all depend on your location. That means breeding times depend on your location, too. Also comments about disease and insect threats. Even selling and purchasing birds makes more sense if we know where you are.

On a different forum, I read a discussion about birds in outdoor aviaries. Very few had their location listed so the discussion wasn't useful. Canada outdoors is a lot different from Puerto Rico outdoors!
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: What's your location?

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 am

Dave

I agree completely. Its very hard to recommend even what stores to help them purchase emergency items (like a brooder for example) if we don't have a location to direct them to stores in their area.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Absolutely!

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:41 pm

You also might find other people keeping finches in your area which would allow you to exchange specific advice or even buy/sell/trade birds with them, car pool to bird marts etc.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Agree!!!

I think the problem is, that quite a lot of people don't know how to add it on to their profile.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ellen7 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Good points, Dave. And you even got my location correct - "Pacific Northwest, USA" and even more specific, the Oregon coast :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:23 pm

ellen7

Will you adopt me and take me home with you, pleeeease???
I absolutely LOVE the Oregon coast. It has to be one of the most beautiful places around.

LUCKY LUCKY YOU!!!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ellen7 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 pm

LOL Elana!

Hubby and I feel lucky that we were able to move back here after 11 years of being away from the coast. Weird how things work out since we didn't know if we would be able to live near the ocean again. But if you happen to visit the Oregon coast, let me know :)