Society needs a cage mate !

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Society needs a cage mate !

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:35 am

lem2bert

Have fun at the Pet Shop, and good luck :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:49 am

lem2bert

Don't worry about it. We're all stalkers, when it comes to birds, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Well everyone I went to the petstore and watched for quite some time and they all seemed like females to me, so I chose one that was a lighter shade than my male and hope for the best. My male is in his flight cage in the birdroom and the new bird is in a smaller cage in my living room for now, where they can hear each other but not see each other. They are chirping back and forth to each other but only my male seems to be singing. The new bird sounds like a very loud cricket. Time will tell. Thank-you all for all your help. I actually left the store with a bird !!! I did not get it for free, but I did not get arrested either. :lol:
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm

lem2bert

Haa hah haah....
Cricket = Female, lol.

No wonder your boy is singing \:D/
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:43 pm

lovezebs

:lol: :lol: :lol: " Story of my life " .

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm

lem2bert I knew you could do it =D> =D> =D> =D> can't wait to see pictures and did you name your male yet cricket is cute for the new little girl.I think babies will be next :P
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Attachments
Screenshot_20170318-182340-400x640.png
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 am

Barbara

Well....bird minds think alike .....that is her name :D . I will post pictures as soon as she settles in.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 am

lovezebs

Yup.... you were right on....cricket chirp = Female and so does egg on bottom of cage. :shock: She has cudlebone and plenty of egg shells and crushed oyster shell so hopefully she will not get eggbound. Not sure I want to breed yet.....

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 am

lem2bert

She heard your boy, got all excited, and OOPS!!! :shock:

If the diet is good, if she has enough Calcium and some oily seeds, she should be fine.

She probably looked at this egg with a puzzled expression... Now where did that come from??? :-??
~Elana~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:46 pm

lem2bert I was laughing when I read the post,If you wanted a female you would of picked out a male,I have never been able to pick out male or female by there sound in a pet store All the want to do is get out of those little prisons so they sit there shocked,not until there on the way home or in there new cage do they start singing and chirping to see whats around.Remember the owls the store swore it was a female???? ant wait to see her
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 am

lovezebs and Barbara

I put her in the large flight cage with the male yesterday, once I figured out she was a she :o . It was so hard to tell if there were any males because they just have one perch and a nest in there :x so I thought they might all be females, but was hoping I was wrong. It does not matter she already has a place in my heart and also in my males !!! :lol:

It took her a while to get use to all the perches and would fly and hang on to the bars of the cage , then she would follow the male and found seed, water and millet. I put some egg shell in the seed dish for her and she devoured them !!

Today is fresh fruit and vegetable day and she is so interested watching the male but has not gone down yet ! I will keep an eye on her.

I had to put a night light on in the bird room last night cuz she fell of the perch !! I refuse to put a nest in there right now. She found her way back to the perch and was none the worse for it.

She is just enjoying herself flying back and forth in the 6 X the space than she had in the pet store. I do not think she wants to breed right now, =D> she just seems happy in her new cage.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 am

lem2bert

A Socie that doesn't want to breed... ;))
~Elana~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

lem2bert your smart not puting a nest in let her de-stress,before starting the family stress,you'll be able to tell when she is all settled and want to nest then you can either put nest in or just keep open dishes low and deal with the few you will find broken (they usually eat it up)I have my family of six all together and they have no problem sleeping on a perch all squished together at night. Have fun watching them
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:15 pm

lovezebs wrote: lem2bert

A Socie that doesn't want to breed... ;))
WANT! WANT!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.