Cage mate for a female parrot finch

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Cage mate for a female parrot finch

Post by ann » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 am

I have a red headed female parrot finch who keeps getting out of her cage. I'm moving her to a different cage, but I'm sure she does not want to be alone. What kind of bird (not another parrot finch) would be a good cage mate for her?
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Cage mate for a female parrot finch

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 am

ann

Parrot Finches, are friendly and social.

She should be ok with almost anything, other than some of the aggressive species.

Gouldians, Javas, Stars, Owls....
What did you have in mind?

The one word of caution would be, not to put her into a breeding flight. PF's tend to be quite nosy and will get into trouble with breeding pairs.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 am

I'm looking for some owls, do you think she would be ok with them?
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 am

I should mention I've already tried to put her in some other cages, and it didn't work out well. She is so active that she disturbs everyone.
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 am

ann

Yes, that's part of their personality :lol:
They are active little jokers, with their nose in everyone's business.

I wish you were closer, I'd gladly take her off your hands, :lol: . I happen to have a lone male, who has worn out three brides :roll: . He is at present residing with five Javas, who just roll their eyes at him. He was even nailing Zebra and Society females #-o

Have you tried putting her in a flight with just female PF's?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:52 am

And I would love to give her to you!

She was in a flight with another female and male PF. I bought the second female to take the pressure off of this one, but it turns out that the new female will occasionally pick on her. Right now the female is loose in the bird room - she spends her days on top of all the cages, so there's no mess from her. But I need to get her back in a cage and I think she would be miserable if she were alone.
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 pm

ann

Yea, my boy isn't too happy either. He keeps trilling and trilling.

I'd put him with my Gouldians, but he'll stress my girls half to death. They can hybridyze as well, but I don't think he's fertile anymore (which doesn't stop him from trying and trying, and he's not gentle about it either).

Is your other pair breeding?
If they are, then maybe one of their future kids could be a companion for her (?)
~Elana~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:30 pm

I wish they were. The male is at least 4 or 5, and he's pretty chunky. The female laid one egg the day I got her and nothing since. I've heard that they only breed when very young and in very large aviaries and they like to do the whole nesting thing in groups, with several other breeding pairs. They are in a double-wide flight, and that's probably not enough room. I'm thinking of getting a couple of owls, do you think if I got 2 females she might be ok with them?
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 pm

ann

If your male is four or five, then the odds are not great for breeding (that's my problem as well).

I have never housed Owls with the PF's, but I don't see a major issue. The one problem you might run into, is getting 2 female Owls. They are very difficult to sex.
~Elana~