Copulating zebra hens

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

Copulating zebra hens

Post by anma » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 am

My finches never cease to amaze me.
So I had other threads where I talked about how one of them was bonding with me, then the new white hen was dancing around a little wooden elephant incense holder because it looks like a male zebra finch, etc.
But yesterday they started to courting eac other...both of them hopping around each other , bowing and tail feather vibrating, etc.
And today, they woke me up early in the morning by....copulating.It was a proper, long(1-2 seconds long) cloacal copulation. I'm confused. They are both hens, look like, and sound like hens,the breeder told me that my the new white one is a good layer, my original one laid a lot of eggs already)unfertilised of course)
But ....this copulation is confusing. I couldn't really find anything about it on the net.(which doesn't mean anything as I couldn't find any information about the zebra finch hen dancing either)
So any ideas?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Copulating zebra hens

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:10 am

anma
Two of my female society finches also do this. One female will see a male mate with another female and then she will go over and also mate with that female. I know for sure she is female after she layed an egg in front of me. And then I have another female that will copulate with the male, except she's on top and he's on the bottom.

anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by anma » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 am

Icearstorm wrote: anma
Two of my female society finches also do this. One female will see a male mate with another female and then she will go over and also mate with that female. I know for sure she is female after she layed an egg in front of me. And then I have another female that will copulate with the male, except she's on top and he's on the bottom.
ah I see, Thank you! :)
It seems it's an instinct then. Now I remember our old dog, she ...caught our legs time to time. So it happens. I was just surprised it was a proper cloacal copulation, not just a hop on etc. They are surely interesting little creatures!:)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am

anma

You may find this article interesting...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... l_behavior
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

anma
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by anma » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 am

lovezebs wrote: anma

You may find this article interesting...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... l_behavior
Thanks!
I remember reading an article in the past about the argument if birds can achieve some kind of orgasm or not.It seems they can, there are several videos of budgies "enjoying" their owners legs, etc.
So birds can probably do it for enjoyment as well. Especially if they are domestic.
I feed them all kinds of seed mixes, and vegetables, I keep them free in a large room, so they are probably feel they have everything to start a clutch.
They show a lot of interesting behaviour. :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 pm

anma

Not quite sure what they get out of it, lol, but if you were to see my Parrot Finch male, trying to nail anything in sight, you'd swear he was a sex maniac. He's like... :twisted: :-* :-* :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Everyone else is..... :-S :-O :-O :-O :-O

I'm glad to hear that your girls are happy together. Sounds like they have a very good life.

Make sure you offer them different sources of Calcium, because eggs will come :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Indeed, finches often form same-sex pair bonds. Keep up the good care!
~Dylan

~~~