Paper Towels for Toys

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Metabird
Pip
Pip

Paper Towels for Toys

Post by Metabird » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I've had my Zebra Finches for about a month and a half. Normally I'll use newspaper as cage liner but I ran out and had to use paper towels as a substitute for today. Later, before I left, one of them somehow pulled a corner of the paper towel through the grate and they both started pulling on it (trying to figure out what it was I assume) but they looked like they were having fun taking turns yanking on it.

I ended up putting it back and folding it in a way so they wouldn't pull it back up. I was wondering it's ok to maybe tie a piece to the side of the cage to play with. Would it in anyway harm them?
Two Zebra Finches - Male & Female

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Paper Towels for Toys

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Yes, i think there would be no issues in providing them with paper for entertainment matters, especially towel paper, that is pretty safe.

They may start to build a little paper nest though :lol:

Metabird
Pip
Pip

Post by Metabird » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks, I wanted to make sure first before I did anything.
Two Zebra Finches - Male & Female

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Metabird

First of all, let me say hello and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

I get a sneaking suspicioun, that your little couple are on the hunt for nesting materials, lol.

Paper towels are fine for them to play with, and won't harm them.

For a long time I used paper towels at the bottom of my flights, but then it started to get a bit expensive, so I changed them to newspapers.

A lot of birds though will use strips of paper towel, kleenex, and toilet paper to line their nests.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 am

Zebra finches love playing with toys! I have mirrors, swings, plastic shrubbery (makes cleaning off poop easier), feathers hanging from the side of the cage, and little trays of stones (mixed with seed and other goodies) for them to look through.

I also leave piles of tissues, shredded paper, feather pieces (chop them up) and pieces of cut string for them to use for nesting. They love carrying them around.

Have a look on youtube and there's a lot of ideas/

Zebras love being active

Zebrafincher