Ants

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Ants

Post by ann » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Maybe I should have started this under Diet and Nutrition, but here's my question. If I leave something like fresh eggfood in a cage for too long, the ants will come. My birds don't eat the ants, in fact they won't even go near them. Wouldn't you think that some ants would make a nice live-food snack for a bird? Does anyone know why this is?
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Ants

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Well, a lot of birds (especially small ones) get overrun by ants in the wild and sometimes their eggs and chicks are even eaten. Ants will always try to beat you to tossed wild chicks, in my experience.

Also, they don't taste good (to birds). Ants are filled with a substance called formic acid, and their bites and stings can be pretty painful for us, let alone to something one 400th of our size.

These are just wild guesses why birds might not like ants, I'm not really sure the exact reason.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:08 pm

MisterGribs

I've actually brought home some flying ants which I bashed in the head :evil:
They loved them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:16 pm

ann, my insect eating waxbills won't touch the black ants that have taken up residence in the aviary either. The ants smell bad if you stir up their nests so my guess is that they taste bad too. The ants will be eliminated as soon as my AIL arrives!

A cicada managed to get in the aviary last week and you should have seen my little Orange Cheek male with it. He ate all but the head and wings and wouldn't share with anyone, including his mate. The bug was almost as big as him.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Shannylee

How funny! Can you catch some more so they all can have a taste?
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:46 pm

ann, cicadas are weird critters. They emerge from the ground every 17 years...or some craziness like that. They are huge, fly-looking monsters and very elusive but SO loud. They are normally up at the tops of trees. No clue how it got into the aviary because the larvae are the ones that emerge from the ground and this guy was an adult (with wings). I usually feed mealworms but I think I might try crickets since the birds are, clearly, not concerned about the size of the insect. :lol:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon May 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Shannylee oh mylanta, a whole cicada!? I bet his overstuffed food-boob was hanging below the perch. :D
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon May 01, 2017 10:54 pm

MisterGribs, right? The bug was almost as big as the bird. He devoured all but the head and the wings and didn't share. It was like the seagull scene from "Finding Nemo"...."mine, mine, mine".
~Sharon