Rosy Bourke and Owls or Societies?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Rosy Bourke and Owls or Societies?

Post by Gracie85 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:19 am

I have a chance to get a rosy bourke parakeet. Owner says it's a very nice, sweet, gentle bird. Has been living "with a finch friend" who owner now says is picking on the bourke, is why he's giving it up as he doesn't want separate cages. I do not know what kind of finch the companion is.

Would this bird be able to live in a large flight (5 feet wide) with some owl finches? or Societies?
I don't want a separate cage for it, either. Or a male canary? Or is he likely to get picked on with them, too? I wouldn't dare put him in with the zebras, as they are sweet little psychos, nor the budgies, as they are not so sweet little psychos.

But, would he be okay with the gentler finches?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Rosy Bourke and Owls or Societies?

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 am

Gracie85

I have never had a Bourke, so I can't speak from personal experience.

I have heard and read though, that Bourkes are gentle, sweet natured birds, and I have heard of them living in mixed aviaries with other birds. Now you'll note that I said 'Aviaries'.....

As to how they would do in a flight together, I really have no idea.

No Zebras, and def no Budgies (god forbid).

Also, just a quick question, how well do you know this person who is selling this bird??? Do you trust him???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:36 pm

I've seen a good many videos of finch aviaries with the rosy bourkes quietly sitting around minding their own business... i'm sure theyd do great with a canary or a society, and even an owl

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm

I don't know the owner at all. Seems strange that a finch would be "beating up" this bird, but I don't know the circumstances. Know Bourkes are supposed to be gentle and compatible. Have an A&E Double flight cage that is not in use yet, and a Canary, a few stray owls, and/or a bunch of societies that I could combine into this cage. Don't want to end up with yet another smaller or singles cage. Have always admired the beautiful Bourkes. But want to do right by all my birds, not end up with problems.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Gracie85

I would never trust any hookbill with my finches in the same cage. Why would he get rid of the hookbill (more expensive) vs the finch.

You many end up with some mangled finches. One hookbill snap....

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:17 am

Gracie85

And so....
What did you decide???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~