Should I take the nests out?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Should I take the nests out?

Post by ann » Mon May 15, 2017 10:38 am

I keep 2 male societies and a canary hen in one cage. There are 2 covered nest baskets in the cage, and I supply them with lots of nesting materials. They have a great time getting their nests just so, then I take out all the material and they start all over again. It keeps them busy and happy. But this morning I found a canary egg in one of the nests. Do you think I should take the nests out? I hate to take away their fun, not to mention their sleeping place, but I also don't want her laying. I didn't think she would even look twice at a covered nest.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Should I take the nests out?

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 15, 2017 12:55 pm

ann

Canary girls at times see a nest and lay an egg in it, just when the urge to lay an egg comes over them, lol.

I wouldn't take away the nests, just make sure she has enough calcium in her diet.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon May 15, 2017 2:49 pm

the nests and all nesting material needs to be removed.... hens like Elana mentioned can stimulate hens to lay eggs even without a male... finches, canaries do not need nests to sleep in...instead try little stress perches for them to roost in
Attachments
plastic-stress-perch.jpg
plastic-stress-perch.jpg (3.12 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon May 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I use stress perches in with all species...zebras, gouldians, shaft tails, societies..... and javas. when light go down they head for their private perch!!
Attachments
privacy perches.jpg
stress perches.jpg
shaft tail flight 11.JPG

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 pm

I agree, a nest is not something a hen canary needs, because she will want to brood eggs, and I have bred them successfully in covered nests so I don't know where they impression canaries don't like them comes from. Given a choice my females always preferred something lidded for privacy, if the hole was a few inches wide and easy to enter (they won't use, say, a budge nest box.) If you can move your canary, there's no harm in keeping a nest for a male pair though.
~Dylan

~~~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun May 21, 2017 9:00 pm

ann - I'm not sure what to tell you, Ann. I have nests in my aviary at all times and the lavenders, shaft tails and my male fire finch always sleep in theirs - eggs or no eggs. Even if your female canary lays eggs, what's the harm in it? As Elana said, just give her enough calcium. And if she should sit on them for two or three weeks, so be it. It's what her instinct tells her to do this time of year. I remember people talking about their birds laying eggs in seed cups or on the floor if there was no nest available.
But that's just my opinion.
Iso

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am

Personally I would remove the nests. Laying eggs is hard on a hen. It shortens their lives - probably not by a lot, but some. And there is the danger of egg-binding.

No offense, but I feel that letting them lay eggs when you don't want them to breed (eg you don't want babies) is something to be assiduously avoided. Especially in the case where babies aren't even possible.

I'd remove the nests. They don't need them. Every time I've put a nest in a cage, I've regretted it (both times, LOL!).

I feel its too risky and for no possible reward.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Wed May 24, 2017 1:01 am

I took the nest out, and she laid eggs in the food cup. I gave her extra calcium and vitamins and put the nest back with her eggs. She laid one more and started sitting tight.

The societies are having a ball making their nests. It keeps them so busy and happy, I just didn't want to take that away from them. The canary looks very serene and content sitting there. I'm assuming she will give it up after a few weeks.

If she starts laying after this, I will put her in another cage where there are no nests. But for now, I'm letting her follow her instincts.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels