VERY jumpy male zeeb

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

VERY jumpy male zeeb

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

So I have this male zeeb. Afraid of cage cloths, swinging perches, my hand, and for a while, he jumped out of his skin when he bumped his jingle bell. He doesnt eat veggies, and I have given him quite a few varieties, because he fears those too. What can I do with him?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: VERY jumpy male zeeb

Post by Celeris » Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

I would personally just make sure to move slowly and deliberately when working around him. Don't introduce too many new things at once. Make sure at least one part of the cage is to the wall or covered at all times. Give him a night light to prevent night fright related injuries. Does he have a friend to help boost his confidence? With my jumpier birds, I find that having another bird they can watch and learn from helps immensely.

Mine have exhibited various levels of skittishness and, frankly, I've really only altered their environment to help provide security (the things I've mentioned above.) I have never attempted to tame them in any way. And yet, all are to the point they'll practically land on my arms as I'm refilling food and such and one bird in particular actually hops onto a branch at my eye level and sings to me while I'm giving them their food, etc. I think that familiarity with his surroundings/your routine will help your little guy--give him time. :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: VERY jumpy male zeeb

Post by lovezebs » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 am

Just take your time with this boy.

Some birds are more nervous than others, and take more time, while others are more calm and laid back.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~