Lone survivor -what to do?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
katlovesaandw
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Lone survivor -what to do?

Post by katlovesaandw » Tue May 30, 2017 11:18 am

So, I don't know what happened. But 6 out of 7 dropped dead. Nothing changed, except we had heat. Been cooler here in Portland and then heat jumped up. They had plenty of water, were inside and food. House wasn't that hot.

I have a lone survivor.

I don't want to give him away, as I don't know what happened to others(in case they had something) though he appears fine. Eating, drinking, chirping and flitting around. And don't want to possibly infect anyone elses birds.

I don't want to introduce another yet until I know he lives. Though I can and will if that is highly recommended and cross fingers that he doesn't have some weird thing that he is immune to but others are not.

He is a society finch and I know they are called that because they are social.

Will he or would he be ok alone?
9 Society Finches- Morticia, Fester, Wednesday, Pugsley, Lurch, Flora, Fauna, Banty and Nefertiti
1 Owl Finch- Stitch
5 Zebra Finches- Unamed at this point as they are new!
2 Cats-Tinkerbell and Taz
2 Dogs-Leia and Niko
1 Bearded Dragon-Norberta
17 Chickens
4 Ducks
Fish indoors and out
2 Teens, 1 Husband, 6 Childcare Kids

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Lone survivor -what to do?

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 30, 2017 12:35 pm

katlovesaandw
It should be fine to keep him alone until you know he's well, but after that, get him a companion. Two to three weeks is a decent quarantine period.
Last edited by Icearstorm on Tue May 30, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katlovesaandw
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by katlovesaandw » Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Icearstorm wrote: katlovesaandw
It should be fine to keep him alone until you know he's fine, but after that, get him a companion. Two to three weeks is a decent quarantine period.
THANK YOU!!!
9 Society Finches- Morticia, Fester, Wednesday, Pugsley, Lurch, Flora, Fauna, Banty and Nefertiti
1 Owl Finch- Stitch
5 Zebra Finches- Unamed at this point as they are new!
2 Cats-Tinkerbell and Taz
2 Dogs-Leia and Niko
1 Bearded Dragon-Norberta
17 Chickens
4 Ducks
Fish indoors and out
2 Teens, 1 Husband, 6 Childcare Kids

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 30, 2017 12:39 pm

katlovesaandw
You're welcome!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue May 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Sounds environmental, not disease-related. If they had food, water, and weren't in 95+ temperatures it's likely some environmental contaminent.
Teflon, cleaning fumes, pesticide overspray, ozone air purifers, carbon monoxide fumes at low concentrations (which you may not notice otherwise - like the "canary in the coal mine") can kill birds.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 pm

katlovesaandw

I agree with Dylan Sheather.

I'm not aware of too many diseases that would make several birds just drop dead without showing symptoms of some sort.

I also think this had something to do with the environment in your home.

I would think back very carefully to what was going on in your home a day or so before these birds died.

Did you have any work done in the house ? Work on your furnace, your AC, painting, carpet cleaning??? Anything new and or different.... New non stick frying pans? New sprays or cleaners, pest control, scented candles? Anything at all that was out of the ordinary.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~