Gay Male Zebra Finches

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
BonesofaWraith
Pip
Pip

Gay Male Zebra Finches

Post by BonesofaWraith » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:00 am

I have two male zebra finches who are a bond pair, they were with females but bonded with each other. They actively engage in mating and general bond behaviours. The society finches I have are a male bond pair as well but they do not engage in the behaviours the zebra's do. They preen and occasionally jump on each other but that is the extent of their behaviour. I am 100% sure that my zebra's are gay but was wondering if anyone else has come across some gay finches? I am curious to see if it is common or not.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Gay Male Zebra Finches

Post by Sheather » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:43 am

I bought a pair last month, two boys, and they bonded immediately and very strongly, just like mates. I gave them to my neighbor, and the two have now built a nest together, take turns sitting on imaginary eggs, and take turns mounting each other, tail buzzing and all.

Zebra finches are actually even documented scientifically to form same-sex pair bonds fairly often, and these bonds are equally lasting to male/female pairs.
~Dylan

~~~

littlezebra
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by littlezebra » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:40 am

Hi, i also have a zebra and a society that are both males and bonded, they occasionally will do something like "mating" maybe 1 time per month at least when in home so i think gay finches are pretty common :D I've also read somewhere that finches that are raised only by a male parent will often prefer other males as their mates, but probably in these conditions they dont really have a choice :D

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:52 am

BonesofaWraith

I have a male society (Kojax) that will not bond with any female. And he has had a few hens to choose from in the past. He just ignors them. He prefers the company of another male I have (who has a mate). He ignors the hen, but grooms the other male everyday and the hen doesn't mind at all.

The 3 have raised a clutch together and all 3 work great together at parenting. It was obvious he wasn't the father of the offspring. He's never the odd man out thankfully.

I've tried letting him have a male partner.....but it just ended up in the new younger male society getting rude and pushy in order to get the attention of the hen.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:00 am

BonesofaWraith

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Male to male and female to female bonded pairs, are not at all unusual in the animal kingdom.

I wouldn't worry about it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 am

As others have said, it is not all that uncommon, not to worry about it. Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

SherLar
Pip
Pip

Post by SherLar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 pm

We had 2 male doves the same way. After a month of them taking turns being the mater and matee, one would always chase the 2nd one to the next to lay an egg. Finally an imaginary egg was produced and they would take turns setting on it. After about a month, they determined that their imaginary egg was not fertile and quit setting. Was hilarious. Found a woman that had been searching for white doves after the death of her husband and gave them to her, figured she could used the humor.
sherri

I love this story for people who try to tell me that homosexuality is a choice and against God's will. In the same breath they tell me God makes no mistakes. I use this a lesson that we need to open our eyes and not be judgmental.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 pm

SherLar

I agree.
Nature is what it is.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~