Clipping Claws

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Clipping Claws

Post by dunker817 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:15 pm

My finches and my canaries are in need of a claw clipping. I am worried the process might be too stressful and they might die from the ordeal. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to make it less stressful for them?
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Clipping Claws

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:50 pm

dunker817

Once you get the hang of trimming their nails, it will be both quicker and less stressful. Since you're new to this, perhaps you should only trim one bird's claws per day, as catching one may stress the others and make them more difficult to work with.

If possible, take the bird to another room. If you keep it in the same room, alarm calls from others will encourage it to struggle more. Low lighting helps calm birds, but this may interfere with nail trimming.

Hold the bird with its back against the palm of your non-dominant hand, and gently curl your fingers around its chest. Use two fingers or a finger and a thumb to hold the bird's leg in place. Try to keep your fingertips away from the birds' bills, as many bite; even though finches are too small to do any real damage, it can still be a bit painful.

For dark-clawed birds, have a small LED light to hold their nails against; it will allow you to see the quicks and avoid cutting them. Keep flour or septic powder on hand for clotting in case the nail bleeds.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:58 pm

dunker817

Hi Layne,

There really is no easy way to go about it.
The quicker you can catch them, the better it is.

What I have done in the past, is this:

Grab everyone out of the flight into a smaller cage without any perches, where they don't have any room to fly and flutter about in a crazed panic.

Once I have all of them in there, I cover the cage with a towel making the interior completely dark.

Reaching in under the cover of darkness, I grab a bird, take it out and snip snip snip. Rub some olive oil over their feet and massage it into the skin and toes to moisturize dry skin.

Once done return the said bird to the flight and go grab the next one out of the cage.

I would recommend having all your nail cutting equipment handy and ready (nail clippers, cotton balls, blood stop powder, kleenex, glasses, etc.) Also I would suggest doing this in a small safe room, where you can close the door just in case of an escape.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:27 am

Elana, that's an awesome method. All of mine needs trims, and I've been putting it off and dreading it. This sounds like it will make it much easier, thank you!
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 pm

ann

You're most welcome.

At least this way you get them all done at once, and you don't have to cause major panic more times than neccesary.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I've got the clippers I ordered and I picked up some Quick Stop styptic powder at the feed store. I might give it a go this afternoon. Boy am I scared to grab one of those little birds. [-o<
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Antone France

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:44 pm

dunker817

You'll do fine.

The first time is always so darn scarey.
I remember shaking so badly that I couldn't get the nail into the nail clippers. I think the poor bird must have thought there was an earthquake going on.

Take a deep breath and get to it.

Good luck.
~Elana~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm

To help the birds trim their own nails, put some lava rock or sandstone rocks on the floor. You can also buy a piece of lava rock that can be screwed to the side of the cage from Drs. Foster & Smith & Petco. If you get a flat sided one that the bird can perch on, that works good too. Place it near millet or something they will eat and use it often. Place small rough stones in a foraging box.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:31 am

The first time is always scary, but you will get better with practice. I like to use a magnifying glass I got at Walmart in the section where they sell sewing supplies. It can be set up on a stand and really helps my aging eyes.

There is a video at this site, along with an article, that shows how to clip the nails.

http://www.finchinfo.com/health/trimmin ... _beaks.php
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 pm

dunker817

Don't keep us hanging Layne...

Did the birds survive? Did you???
~Elana~

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Elana,

I didn't try yet. One of grasskeets became suddenly ill yesterday and died. I was too bummed out to do much. Tomorrow I am off work again and will give it a try.

Sally,

Thank you for the link. I am heading there right now.

Layne
Layne

Antone France

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Oh goodness. I watched the video. It seems like you could choke a bird very easily if you're not very careful.
Layne

Antone France

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm

dunker817
Holding the bird with one or two fingers loosely curled around the neck and the others gently resting on the keel or belly should leave the bird free to breathe. Most of their upper area is feathers; their actual necks are quite thin. Therefore, the chance they will choke while you hold them is low, even if it looks like your fingers are somewhat restricting the neck. You will probably be able to feel the bird breathing, or hear it if you hold it up to your ear.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 pm

dunker817

I am so sorry about your Greasskeet. Sometimes these things can come on so quickly and be over before you even know what happened.

Regarding the nail cutting...
I usually hold the birdie in my left hand, laying on it's back, with my middle, ring, and pinky finger gently curled around it's body. I grab one tiny foot between thumb and forefinger and snip snip the nails with the clipper held in my right hand.
~Elana~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Another way to hold a bird, I've seen a vet do. Place the bird with it's back in your left hand. Put the head between the first and second finger & use the ring finger & thumb to hold the foot.