Cross breeding question

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Cross breeding question

Post by ann » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am

I house one female canary with two male societies, and they all get along beautifully. A month or so ago the canary started laying eggs. I took away her nest, but she still lays eggs from time to time. The societies have their own nest, and I've never seen the canary even come close to it.

I've also noticed this past week that the societies are taking turns in the nest, with one being in there at all times. I pulled their nest this morning to clean it, and it had 4 canary eggs in it. I know canaries can cross with green singing finches, but is it at all possible that can happen with societies?
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Cross breeding question

Post by Sheather » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:44 pm

It's totally impossible because these birds are not of the same family.

Canaries, green singers are in Fringillidae.
Societies, and most other pet finches, Estrildidae.

These are unrelated groups of birds which have evolved into similar forms (seed-eaters), but are not actually closely related at all, so it would be like a dog mating with a cat. The eggs will be infertile, but it's the instinct of the societies to still try to hatch them.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:13 pm

ann

Nope.
She must just be in egg laying mode, and the Socies seeing eggs, just have to sit on them lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 am

And they did a good job, too, those eggs were HOT! I feel for all of them, they all really want to be parents. But it can't happen because I just don't have room for more birds. Thanks for the explanation!
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:51 am

ann

You are most welcome.

You can allow them to play house and sit on the eggs if it makes them happy.

Just make sure, that your Canary girl has enough sources of Calcium in her diet (such as cuttle bone, crushed egg shells, oyster shell grit, etc.).

Laying eggs, takes a lot of Calcium out of your girl's body, so it needs to be replenished constantly, or you take a risk of her becoming egg bound, which very often is a death sentence unless caught in time and treated promptly.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm

lovezebs

She gets Calcium Plus twice a week, plus shells and cuttle are always there. Thanks for the suggestion, I will let them play house. I'm putting the nest back this morning, along with lots of nesting materials. They're going to have a fun day.
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm

~Elana~