Travelling far away with Java Sparrows

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
noacastle
Pip
Pip

Travelling far away with Java Sparrows

Post by noacastle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:21 am

Hello,

Me and my husband will move from South Korea (his home country) to Sweden (my home country) this December.

We were given two Java sparrows out of the blue around a year ago, and they had already laid eggs so we now have eight Java sparrows. Although we did not technically choose to become bird owners, I take our responsibility to caring for them very seriously, and of course I love them.

However, I am at a loss for what to do when we move to Sweden. Ideally I want to take them with me but I know how prone they are to stress, so I don't know how safe it is to travel with them for that far? Even a fast flight would be around 15 hours, plus commuting to and from the airports.

I am worried about several things.

How will they react to being put in pairs of two or three in cat-carriers (only way to bring them in the cabin with me rather than checking them in seperately).

What if there are people with strong perfumes or colognes sitting near me on the flight?

Can I keep their cages covered for 15 hours? Should I open it when it is bright outside eventhough they might be loud on the plane when they stress out? Wouldn't it be difficult for them to breathe with a blanket around the cage?

How stressed would they get? Can they survive the sheer stress of such a long flight and move?

Are there some kind of bird sedatives that I can give them that are SAFE for them to take and also help reduce their stress?

How will they react to going outside (cold), then into a bus (warm), outside again (cold), into the airport (warm), onto the plane (both cold and hot at the same time.), then off the plane, into the airport, possibly transferring once, repeat, then out into the cold waiting for the train, onto the train where it's warm, off into the cold, onto a warm bus, out of the bus and then finally get to our house in Sweden where they would remain for about six months until we move to a new apartment but then at least it would be within 2 hours away and in the summer.

....... Now, if I was in Sweden or even America or honestly most western countries, I know that giving them away to a bird lover or two would make sense. It would break my heart to part with them but I know that would probably be safer for them than the flight... HOWEVER, I am in South Korea. The previous owner of the first two birds took horrendous care of them. Never gave them egg food, barely changed the water, never! changed the cage I mean for like 2 months, Never let them out of the cage etc they had miscarriages two times with two sets of eggs only birthing two babies, both of which died due to malnutrition. And there is as far as I know only one veterinarian that even handles birds in all of northern South Korea.

Basically, I am terrified that I will leave them with someone who doesn't give a crap about them. That think of them as toys or just pretty things to keep locked up for a while and not care for until they die - way earlier than they should. I just do NOT trust most people here to take care of them or even care About them despite wanting birds. They don't even take good care of dogs in this country, how would they take care of birds?

I am becoming quite desperate in this situation. Can someone please tell me the risks of taking them with me to Sweden vs leaving them here? Thank you....
Attachments
15304651_10154342619648542_217390126718397208_o (1).jpg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Travelling far away with Java Sparrows

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm

noacastle
I am not familiar with bringing birds overseas, but here is an article that might help:
Moving Pet Birds Internationally

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:20 pm

It would be good if you buy a traveling cage which you can buy online which attach securely and they also have food and water that stays attack tightly hope this helps I will attach a photo if I can aswell.
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Emma4
Pip
Pip

Post by Emma4 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm

You haven't done your homework. Go here first,
http://www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishbo ... 03127.html

You will see there is a limit of 5 birds and a 30 day quarantine not in Sweden. I'd be more worried about the quarantine than the travel.

I didn't think the airlines would allow birds in the cabin on international routes such as icn-arn. And even when they allow it, there is always a limit to how many. You also need health certification papers before departure, and may need to prove you bred these birds yourself.

Also check cites list. I think java sparrows is on there, but not sure. They often revise the list and recently some species of woods used in guitars are banned for transport which killed my mail order purchase. So you need to check that.

I used a pet mover. My bird traveled in a roomy carrier in cargo. I was told that in the pet section of cargo, there is soft lighting and no draft, so it's better than being stuffed under a seat for 15 hours (even if allowed in international flight cabin, which I doubt). In cabin, they turn the lights out and there may be video box under the seats. There isn't much room. And birds can't eat when they can't see.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeh hopefully they will be okay and sorry I wasn't much help put a comment up it'd they made it fine and put in a milet seed near there bed so they can eat it even in the dark mine do this sometimes if I leave it hanging over there bed.
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

If u don't have a bed you can buy one they are only cheap this will keep there's bodies warm all scabbeled together aswell for in case of cold
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

noacastle

Did you have any luck finding out about travelling with your birds?

I would think that the first thing to find out, would be whether Javas are even allowed in Sweden (?)

Second would be to check out the laws regarding quaratine in Swedan (if these birds are allowed).

Thirdly, you will have to check with the airline you are planning on using, as to whether you are allowed birds in the cabin (some people have allergies) , most I believe do not allow them.

Fourth, you will have to get health certification for all of them signed by a reputable Vet.

Fifth, you will have to purchase appropriate carriers for your birds, that have space for food and water in them.

Personally, I would try to contact some bird clubs in your area in Korea (if there are such things), and rehome them with a bird enthusiast.

It is a tough decision that you will have to make.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

noacastle
Pip
Pip

Post by noacastle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Thank you all! I will look into everything you've said and contact the airlines and Sweden and look into travel cages, beds, and everything else! I will tell you how it goes. If I can't bring them with me I honestly don't know what to do... It seems very complicated but luckily I have some months to figure it out so hopefully it will work out.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 am

noacastle

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 am

Emma4
Would you share some info, like company name, prices and other. I still have my bird back home and I'm finding it difficult to get them here I. Canada. Thanks

Emma4
Pip
Pip

Post by Emma4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 am

andiok wrote: Emma4
Would you share some info, like company name, prices and other. I still have my bird back home and I'm finding it difficult to get them here I. Canada. Thanks

It cost me about $2,500 usd if I remember correctly, that was many years ago. I recall most of the cost was for government fees, quarantine, airfare, actually not a lot by comparison was paid to the pet mover.

These companies tend to be local (for me, LAX) and work with a network of other pet movers. The important thing is to choose one that is based at, and works with, the authorities at the port of entry. You research the available nonstop international flights, and you figure out where the quarantine facilities are, so you already kind of know the itinerary. Then you find a company that works that port. They will use an affiliate at the export country, that knows people at the health agency and at the airlines.

I would start at ipata.org for a list of pet movers and go for one that has experience with more exotic animals, not just dog/cat/parrot. Maybe fewer people transport finches. So I'd try to get someone with wider experience.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Emma4
Thanks for the info.
It would be a lot more this days I bet you with all aeroport taxes and fees gone up. In my case It would cost me less to fligh back home and pick them up myself. Around usd 2.500 is quite a bit of money and I'll do all the paperwork needed and as a bonus I get to go home

Emma4
Pip
Pip

Post by Emma4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Yup, it's definitely doable yourself, and save some money. But still costly though. For example, I had to pay $15 a day to usda for the 30 day quarantine.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Emma4
Here in Canada is $100 for the vet and $150 for the whole quarantine period of 40 or 45 days. The hard part is to find a spot in your house with NO windows. :shock: how do I even do that. I just added extra work does to my basement and half bathroom. Lol. Insane laws but u guess we have to follow through if we want to import birds.