Coktiel really scared

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Fraza
Molting
Molting

Coktiel really scared

Post by Fraza » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:57 am

Just got new cockatiel and it's really scared how would I make it feel better my finches are talking to it but it's just shaking
Attachments
IMG_3310.JPG
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Coktiel really scared

Post by Sheather » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:25 pm

It was presumably bonded to another bird at the store and you separated it. Is it even tame? If not, I wouldn't even try to make a tame pet out of it.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Fraza

Spend loads of time with himin the same room and talk softly to him, even read the newspaper or a book to him, if you can't think of anything to say. Get him used to your voice and your presence. Tell him he's handsome and a good bird, and a pretty bird, just chat to him, until he starts to calm down.

Once he's calmed down a bit, sit closer to the cage, and keep talking to him again until he calms down and puts his head feathers down.

Repeat this, until you can sit close to the cage without him freaking out.

Mind you, this can take weeks, even months if he's reall afraid of humans, but don't give up on him.

Get to a point where he will accept some spray millet from you, then try to touch him very gently through the bars, and watch those head feathers. If they are up, he's nervous, if they're down, he's relaxed.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks I think the shop keeper hurt him because he grabbed him by his neck and then the bird started pecking him and bitting him.anyway are they hard to tame cockatiels and can u let them out the cage like finches
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I was originally going for a greens finch but my dad bought me this even tho I didn't really want it but uno I'm still gonna try with it it's not his fault
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL