Recommended Seed Silos

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Recommended Seed Silos

Post by Celeris » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 am

I have a zebra finch that is a chronic nest maker. I have gradually broken him of each of his little nest spots in various ways. Alas, now he's finally caught on to the seed cups as nests.

The only solution I can think of is to try a seed silo, which will make it impossible for him to lie in it. I'm assuming that a silo like you use for wild finches is acceptable? And do they do alright with it on the ground? (I don't really have a way to hang one.)

Please feel free to share pics and recommendations.

Thanks guys!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Recommended Seed Silos

Post by lovezebs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 am

Celeris

Why not let him build a nest?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am

Celeris

Hopper feeders and gravity feeders are fine, but seed hulls will need to be removed daily if you keep it on the ground. My birds never understood tube feeders. Make sure the lid is sloped and apart from the wall to deter nest-building.

The photo below is my hopper feeder. It works fairly well, but the pattern on the roof makes it more difficult to clean, and the roof may be flat enough for nest-building. The feeding ports have rims on all sides so less seed falls out.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 997 times

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:58 pm

lovezebs

Because although he is my sweetest bird normally, he turns into a downright devil once his nest has been established and won't let any of the other birds into that area of the flight. XD I tried it once, since he and his buddy really are adorable all cuddled up together, but when the feathers started flying I had to put an end to it. (I've considered the option of moving them to one of my spare cages and giving them a nest to build, but honestly, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than add yet another cage to clean.)

@Icearstorm

Thank you! I have a silo/hopper very similar to that which I purchased for the wild finches. Since the squirrels kept ruining the fun and breaking the string that hangs it, I was thinking of disinfecting it real well and using that for my guys. I'll give it a shot and bear your cautions in mind.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I used to use cat food dishes on the cage floor, I didn't have any birds try to nest that low to the ground.
~Dylan

~~~