Essential oils

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Mae2.0
Pip
Pip

Essential oils

Post by Mae2.0 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm

I really like to use essential oils, and I was wondering if lavender and mint would be safe to use around zebra finches?

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Essential oils

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Mae2.0 I imagine they are. I do know that Teflon is a bad thing to have if you keep birds in the kitchen, as it can burn and the fumes can kill them. Also stay away from avocado, rhubarb, and milk products (to give as treats) as they can kill too.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

robin311
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by robin311 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:36 am

I am wondering the same thing, specifically if I can use any essential oil diffuser in a different room from where my birds are (Green singers). The oil that I want to use is a lavender & cedarwood combo, both of which I know are at least safe for dogs (3 chihuahuas sleep in my room where the diffuser would be).

ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Post by ericabelle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 pm

I don't think you can use essential oils around small birds. I have a canary that I moved to a surface under some cabinets where I kept all my essential oils. He was breathing heavily, with tail bobs, fluffed up, many times when I first moved him there. I was afraid he was getting air sac mites, but I also googled essential oils , and found that no one seemed to recommend using them with small birds. So, I removed the essential oils from the cabinet to see if that would help, and he hasn't had any problems since.