Help! One day old hatchlings

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Dave in Nara
Pip
Pip

Help! One day old hatchlings

Post by Dave in Nara » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:41 am

My little society finches finally succeeded and we have two little hatchlings in the nest. They hatched sometime this morning. The parents are going back and forth into the nest and eating. I've provided some greens and boiled egg to their food and was extremely surprised when they ate those as they've never been receptive to new foods.

Anyway my concern is that the little ones aren't peeping. I checked on them a few times this afternoon. the first time they were holding their heads up and mouths open but no sound. the second time they appeared to be sleeping. the third time was much like the first, so i felt relieved.

IF the parents are not feeding them, will they survive the night? can i afford to wait till morning to check them? Its around 6pm here in japan so the parents have retired to the nest for the night.
Is it normal for the babes to be so quiet?

Worried in Nara

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Help! One day old hatchlings

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:26 am

Dave in Nara

Finch babies dont start vocalizing until day 3 or 4. And its very faint in the beginning. The first few days the babies crops are so small you can barely notice the food in them (but it's there).

Societies usually keep their kids stuffed throughout the entire process, so dont be surprised if you can barely hear a chirp at all over the next few weeks.

As they get bigger the parents will keep them so full they can barely lift their head to let out a silent "burp!". :)

Societies are excellent parents. Dont worry, if they are going in the nest, those babies are getting fed. :)

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 am

Dave in Nara

The babies may take around a day after hatching to fully digest their yolk sac and start eating, so they should be fine.

Once they are being fed, their crops should be full, looking like a slight enlargement on the side of the neck. Give the parents several minutes to eat and feed the hatchlings in the morning before checking for full crops.
Attachments
Middle society finch with full crop
Middle society finch with full crop

Dave in Nara
Pip
Pip

Post by Dave in Nara » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 am

Thank you guys SO MUCH!
I feel much better now and I’ll sleep well tonight. I’ll be sure and give them some time in the morning before checking.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:01 am

Dave in Nara

Sleep well. Your societies have this covered. I-)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Dave in Nara

I addressed this query over your P.M. which you sent to me over night.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave in Nara
Pip
Pip

Post by Dave in Nara » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:44 pm

UPDATE
Everyone was right! Full crops and strong this morning. I’m so proud of them. Thank you for calming me last night.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Dave in Nara

Enjoy ! You can sit back and relax and watch them grow. :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am

Dave in Nara

How are the babies doing?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~