Yet Another Lighting Topic

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Yet Another Lighting Topic

Post by Celeris » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Alright, I know this subject has been well-worn, but even after searching through all the old topics, I find my question unanswered.

I am looking at very soon moving my finches into my "office" (quickly turning into a bird room...), where I keep my quail. (Long story short, we're looking at getting a new dog and I want to be able to close that room off until I'm certain that everyone can get along unsupervised.) Where my finches are currently, they have large windows facing both east and west, so they get natural light all day. The office, however, only has a single window facing east. meaning it gets quite dim in the afternoon. At present, I'm leaving the overhead light on for the quail most of the day, then turning it off manually come the end of the day. I would, however, like to put things on a timer, localized on the cages.

I have a strip of LED lights above my kitchen window that are very low profile and put off a lovely, warm light. They were relatively affordable, too, which is why I was thinking something of that ilk might work for the birds. My husband, however, being an electronic wizard has concerns about using LEDs. I guess LEDs in a strand aren't all lit at the same time, but instead blink in succession very rapidly. Our eyes don't really pick up on this, making it appear to us that everything is lit at the same time... But my husband wondered if a bird's eyes and brain might be more capable of noticing the flickering and if that would be upsetting.

Searching through the forum proves to me that a bunch of you seem to be using LEDs with success, but I wonder if anyone can say for certain if birds are as unaffected as we are by LED lighting?

As a note, I'm wanting to use this for light only, not nutrients.

Anyhow, any thoughts on the topic would be wonderful! Thanks!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Yet Another Lighting Topic

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Celeris

When you say a strip of LED lights and blinking rapidly I'm getting the impression that there similar to yer average Christmas lights,

If they do blink I'd definitely not wanna use such lighting, this would be ludicrous :-O

Lighting is not particularly dear and just a std LED light bulb and fitting is all that you'd ever need, this is all I use and have no problems whatsoever, my birds are bred outside in avaires during the 3 months of summer so have the full benefits of natural daylight but for the rest of the time me birds are in me birdroom where I use just the std LED bulbs.

With the use of a std LED bulb it won't be throwing out the same light as if it were full spectrum lighting and because of this I'd be inclined to administer the use of a calcium and Vitamin D3 supplement, again this is what I currently do and don't experience any deficiency problems with me birds

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Celeris

There is evidence that most birds see more frames per second than humans, and may notice the flickering. Some people can also pick up on flickering that is not noticable to others, and can be quite bothered by it.

Many pet birds act similarly under natural and artificial lighting, so they are most likely fine with it. I keep mine under fluorescent lights for 10-14 hours per day, and they usually seem calm.

An article you may find interesting: Why You Can't Take a Pigeon to the Movies

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 am

I have birds under both fluorescent tubes ('Cool White') and under standard screw-in LED bulbs. I don't see a difference. If you use fluorescent, make sure the fixture is new enough that it doesn't use the old buzzing magnetic ballast---those do flicker, sometimes noticeably.

And, like Stuart whiting says, make sure the birds get a calcium / vitamin D3 supplement.

I don't know how dim is too dim for bird lights. I knew of a European Finch breeder that had breeder cages stacked floor to ceiling. The lower cages didn't get any direct light, as the light fixtures were on the ceiling. The breeder said he didn't notice any difference in productivity between the higher and lower cages.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm

There is a company now producing LED strip lighting for birds (M&M Lighting). It is wonderful lighting, but it is pricey. A friend mounted LED strip lights on the wall behind her cages, they are all Societies, and she has no problems with her birds at all.

If you use fluorescent lighting, try to get something with Kelvin of 5000 or 5500. Don't use 6500, that is too much lighting. I used it one time (reptile lights are sold in this K rating), and my birds started feather-plucking and looked terrible in no time at all). Also, try to find CRI as high as you can get, but at least 90.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Okay, so I mentioned to my husband that it seemed like a lot of y'all are using LED lighting for your birds without any complications. Turns out he wasn't listening very raptly when I was telling him which LEDs I wanted to use, 'cos he said they're fine and this is why:

Alternating Current vs Direct Current: A power supply is required to convert the AC coming out of your outlet to DC. So your average LED Christmas lights, being plugged into AC power, are always flickering incredibly rapidly. That's why they may look "funny" if you blink or move while looking at them. A power supply is included on most LED strips which converts the current, thus steadying out the LEDs.

So yes, LEDs are just fine, so long as a power supply is included!

(I already have supplements for the birds. I looked into full spectrum lighting, determined it was a royal pain in the neck, and decided to take the supplement route. :lol: )

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Celeris

Thanks for the tip! Im thinking of converting to LED. The new full spectrum bulbs I bought last winter are already dimming down and I am tired of replacing them every year.

And it ends up costing me a fortune. :(

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Celeris

That's good to know.

I found some sun bulbs at my Golden Acres, and the birdlings seem to be doing great with them.

Please feel free to pop into the Faces to Names Thread if you want to see our mug shots, lol, and maybe share one of your own if you kike :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Babs

That was my thinking as I was looking at getting the full spectrum bulbs! Everything I read made them appear costly and inconsistent. Seems better to just make sure the birds have light and supplement the nutrients.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Babs

Ditch the use of the full spectrum bulbs Babs, in truth there more hassle than what there really worth,

I'd definitely go Led lighting all the way and just use me liquid calcium and D3 supplement when required,

The LED bulbs that I use which can be literally bought anywhere have upto about a 3-4 year warranty and for the sake of about £5 each :-BD

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Celeris

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more :-BD