Male and female zebras in separate cages in the same room

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Male and female zebras in separate cages in the same room

Post by hfinney » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I currently have four male zebras in a large flight cage. I adore them! I want more! I don’t want to breed, so I’m thinking of adding some females in a separate cage in the same room. Will this work? Will it cause the males to start fighting when they see or hear the females in the same room? I can probably set up their cages with some greenery so they can’t really see one another, but I know they will still hear each other. I would appreciate hearing anyone’s experience with this. Thank you!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Male and female zebras in separate cages in the same roo

Post by Sheather » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:46 pm

YES. They will very likely go after each other.
I recently took in two males and two females for a neighbor caged apart. The males would go berserk against each other if they could see the females, and I mean trying to kill each other. They fought at other times too, but not with that dead set "i want you dead" look in their eye.

The females, though, didn't care, and were bonded to each other.
~Dylan

~~~

ac12
Molting
Molting

Re: Male and female zebras in separate cages in the same roo

Post by ac12 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:05 pm

I kept my M and F separate, so they could NOT see each other. The cages were stacked one over the other. This was done to prevent unplanned/unwanted population growth.

But I also had problems managing them so they would be compatible. Some would FIGHT, other times one buddy would turn against the other, and I had a couple that had to be put in solitary because they would ATTACK any bird I put them with. It was musical cages to find compatible cage mates.

A friend had no problem with her zebras, but she had a LARGE cage, so more space likely plays a factor in reducing aggression.

In your case, since you do not intend to breed, WHY even have females? Just have males, and you won't have M/F issues to deal with.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary