COCK BIRDS ONLY IN AVIARY

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

COCK BIRDS ONLY IN AVIARY

Post by mick1933 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi. I haven't been on the forum for a while due to medical problems. I finished converting my 3 budgie aviaries to 1 big aviary a month or so ago but as I have to have a hip replacement operation and probably a kidney operation I have not bought any finches to go in the aviary. I don't want birds breeding if I can't look after them properly.

I was wondering would it be OK to put 2 cock birds each of the following varieties in the aviary together that way I would have something to look at? Painted, Stars, Gouldians, Parrot, Chestnut and Double Bars. Would they co-exist together without fighting. I also have 4 pair of canaries in the aviary now, would the 4 hen canaries be in trouble with that many cocks of varies varieties, or should I get rid of the hens?

Tanks Mick
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: COCK BIRDS ONLY IN AVIARY

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 pm

mick1933

Hi Mick,

So sorry to hear about the health issues and the needed surgeries :( .

Hip replacement, will take a while to bounce back and become mobile again.
What sort of kidney surgery do you require?

Regarding the birds, I would personally keep them to mininal until after your health is better, but being a bird lover, I know that that will be very difficult :lol: if not impossible.

Usually males alone will do fine, although I would keep the Parrot out of there (unless you mean a Parrot Finch(?))

I know that Gouldians, Owls and Stars, will be fine together. I am not personally familiar with Painteds and Chestnuts.

With the Canaries, if the aviary is big enough, I think they should be fine, especially if there is a girl for each boy. Hopefully they will be content and start breeding for you.

Good luck with the health problems, take care of yourself, and let us know how things are going for you.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 am

I had a group of canaries in a large walk-in aviary 6' x 16'. Two males and several hens. The males about killed each other and I had to split the aviary with a solid partition to stop the carnage.

They had all been together through the summer and fall, but in January, as the days got a bit longer, they started fighting.

I'd guess that it depends on the temperament of your birds.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Dave

Yes, it does depend on the individual personalities of the boys, Dave, you're right.

Sorry to hear that your 2 decided to go into all out battle. Did you name them Kim Jong-un, and what's the other guy with the yellow hair... :wink: :wink: :wink:

In most cases, there is hissing and chasing around before things settle down with exchanged dirty looks and occasional swearing at each other. However in some situations, things do get out of contriol, and they do have to be seperated.

A lot also depends on the space available, and on how strategically the nests are situated in relations to one another.

I hope things are working out now :-BD .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~