I have a rejected male

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: I have a rejected male

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Moon

There are some birds (just like people and other animals :wink: ) who tend to be antisocial. It happens.

As long as she's in a cage in the vicinity of other birds (to hear and see them), she should be alright.

One big plus about her, is that if you have any tosslings or abandoned infants in the future, you know that she'd be willing to mother them, and that's a big plus. I'd hang on to her.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 pm

I never give up on any animal. Starling, cat, sparrow, dog, finch, chickens, evil roosters who chase balls... I keep 'em.

It could be that none of my available males suit her personally, I've read some studies done on Finch. That's why I'm looking into others from different locations or breeders. I've decided to go with Petsmart since the people I emailed never got back to me and they can deliver. I learned they have local housing places for birds and I practice 30 days to 90-day quarantines.

So, maybe if I find the right mate for her or add some female finch it'll calm her nerves. She settled down a bit when she saw my Bat so maybe it's the testosterone got on her nerves.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 pm

My zebra male Young'un has shredded feathers, now that I've gotten him to calm down in the chaos of the other birds. I'm not sure how to proceed aside from offering foods.

Should I leave him til he molts? Even though he can barely fly?

Or would trimming the feathers be a way to go?
New Mexico

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Do, here's the case: I rejected male, one widowed male, three males that have 'bonded'. My Soprano is dead. I'm beyond a little upset at this loss. Even though she was mean to the males I was still very fond of her.

But I have to look at what to do with my males. I'm not looking to buy more finch until spring if ever again. I'd much rather just stick to a bachelor style that I originally had.

So, now what do I do with Alto as well as Young'un....??????
New Mexico