EVERYTHING IS POISONOUS

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: EVERYTHING IS POISONOUS

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:37 am

Icearstorm If you are worried about your own ID skills, take some pictures and let everyone help you identify!
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:04 am

Babs and Sally

That's good to know. I have a small crape myrtle, so I might be able to get cuttings from it every once in a while.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 am

MisterGribs

Good idea! I'll have to take some photos once I get back.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 am

I have used Birch, especially white birch which is easy to identify. Beech, also an easy one to spot. Apple and pear.
Hibiscus, also known as Rose of Sharon, easy to spot because of the blooms. Grapevine, just not from a commercial place to be sure it has not been sprayed.

And honestly, finches do not chew up and eat large amounts of wood, and the wild birds live in all kinds of trees, so your common maples and even oaks should all be fine.

Wash it well, let it dry. If you bleach, be sure to rinse extensively, then let it dry and air out until there's no bleach smell anymore. instead of bleach, I have poured hydrogen peroxide over branches. Also, I have just washed with water and let them dry a good long time, in the house or garage, then used them. You can also give them a slow-roast in the oven, if they fit, something like 200-250 degrees maximum for an hour. Have found that roasted branches are much much harder and stronger, even the budgies don't do much chewing on them.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Gracie85

That's interesting; I would have thought roasting would break down the branches instead. I tend to break off the branches and then leave them until the leaves fall off, or at least dry out enough for me to easily remove them.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 am

Icearstorm

Another way to identify different trees, is to take small samples in different ziplock bags to your nearest garden centre. They should be able to help you identify them, and you can put a note in each bag as to which is which.

I use all sorts of branches that I collect on my dog walks. Wash them, dry them and use them. Have never had any issues.

My guys love LOVE apple and crab apple branches in the Spring, when they have fresh leaves and flowers on them. They pull the leaves off and munch on the blooms.
Attachments
20170524_074841.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm

lovezebs

I don't know why I didn't think of a garden center. There aren't any super close to me, but going to one during an errand run shouldn't be too difficult.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Icearstorm

Glad I came up with a good idea.,. *-:) *-:) *-:) .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 am

I was finally able to get a couple of magnolia branches. The birds don't seem particularly afraid, though I wonder how long it will be before they go to the other end of the cage.
Attachments
image.jpeg

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:50 pm

How are your birds enjoying the magnolia?
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 pm

MisterGribs

A few of the society finches sit on the leaves and try to eat it. The gouldians don't seem terribly interested in it, but no one is freaking out, so that's good.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Just added a few ferns, and the society finches are already eating them. I'll see how it holds up.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Icearstorm stick some miller behind the leaves and I’m sure they will be rumbling through ther getting the mullet once they have been in once they will always be hiding in there they might even make a nest
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Fraza

That's a good idea. I don't want them to nest though; Macbeth's already laid three clutches, and now about half of my birds are related.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Icearstorm Ohright haha yep I guess u definetly don’t want them breeding anytime soon then haha

It’s hard to see on the khtoto but they look like nice society’s them I prefer them pure colours instead of pied ones
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3