Ut oh... from one egg to five...

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Ut oh... from one egg to five...

Post by Rocki_finch » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi all!

So my new lady, Holly... who we just brought home about two weeks ago has 5 eggs in her nest. Does this mean what I think it does?! If so, how can I possibly introduce her to my senior, Brooke? When would be the best time? Can she even raise 5 on her own?

When Brooke had her 4 baby boys (they all died from being startled by my cat who snuck into the bird room, along with her mate, about 5 years ago - absolutely tragic) they were horrible to her and had to be separated. How would a senior handle babies? How would the babies handle a senior?

Should I post this topic in the breeding section? I wasn't sure because I still don't know what's really happening...

Thank you for your input !

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Ut oh... from one egg to five...

Post by Sheather » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 am

If she was with a male before purchase the eggs may hatch, but they may be empty. If they do hatch, a hen can raise chicks on her own but five is a lot. She will need a lot of fresh egg food, and some chicks may not survive if she is not up to the task of feeding so many mouths.

Zebras can be mean. It's hard to say whether or not the hypothetical babies would get along. Zebras usually get along best in two's, or in more than 6 in a very large space. 4 birds or a group crammed in a cage too small for them is asking for fights.
~Dylan

~~~

Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Re: Ut oh... from one egg to five...

Post by Rocki_finch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi there shether !

She was! I never understood why they would keep males and females together but there were 3 females, and 4 males in a cage but I don't know how pet stores work. When I went the store they told me they couldn't tell the females and males from each other :shock:

So I tried to catch a glimpse this morning, it sure did make her mad - but one has a slight red tint to it. I tried putting a light up to them but she wasn't having it... respectively so. This might be her first round, if hate to stress her out more than she already is. This is a new home, her cage is too small (she was is a recovery cage due to a minor injury) and still hasn't been introduced to my Brooke, who has been patiently waiting for a new friend.

What would be the best timing for everything? I'm going to just have to wait it out and see if the eggs hatch, but if they do... geez... I need to get her to a bigger cage. And what about Brooke?

Aw man, I am not ready for these hypothetical babies :lol:

Last bumped by Rocki_finch on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm.