Do I Need to Cover Cages at Night?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Do I Need to Cover Cages at Night?

Post by hfinney » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Hello! Do I need to cover my birds’ cages at night? My birds are all in my office, and I do cover my canary to control the amount of light/dark each day. But what about my other birds (societies, grey singer, firefinches, and a saffron finch)?

I am up in my office around 5:00 a.m. most mornings, but the sun doesn’t actually come up until after 6:00 a.m. Is it ok to wake the birds up that early? I don’t want to cover all the cages unless I need to for their own well-being.

Thanks, y'all!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Do I Need to Cover Cages at Night?

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

hfinney

So long as the birds are getting enough sleep, there's little need to cover the other cages. When does the sun set where you are?

I don't cover my birds' cages, and currently have their lights on from around 7:00 to 17:00, which gives them some time to find a roosting perch before the sun sets. The birds are in my room, and I go to bed after the birds have been sleeping for a few hours. They don't seem bothered by minor disturbances, though I do talk when I first enter the room so they don't freak out.

In summer, they get 12-14 hours of light.

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:21 am

The sun sets around 5:15 , and it starts getting light around 6:15-6:30 in the mornings. But I’m in the office around 5:15 most mornings.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 am

hfinney

12 hours of good sleep should be plenty for them, so it sounds like the finches will be fine without the cage covers.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 am

I've always thought that birds should get the same day length as the area they evolved in. So for Canaries, I use the day length of Arrecife, Canary Islands. https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/spain/arrecife

I don't know of research on this topic. It just seems reasonable that a few million years of evolution resulted in some connection between the birds and the length of daylight.

I do know that scientists find, more and more, that biorhythms are important, even at the cellular level.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries