housing problems

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
KiraEverheart
Pip
Pip

housing problems

Post by KiraEverheart » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:01 pm

i recently got my first finches a couple months ago and like an idiot i didnt study for them enough before hand. Anyway i was told the 4 of them were all boys but then i found eggs in the 2 nests i put in for them and realized that they werent all boys so i did so research on how to identify their genders and found out 2 were boys and 2 were girls and one of the males was getting hurt by the other so i bought a new cage and separated them into pairs by who they slept with but my birds just seem less happy since i moved them they just dont seem as upbeat and i was wondering what i should/could do to help them be a little happier again

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: housing problems

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi could you post pics of your birds and cages? I would recommend adding a little greenery to the cages. Maybe change the cages around a little for a little bit of variety. Has each pair got a nest? Are the birds preening each other?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:54 pm

KiraEverheart Can you tell us a little bit about how and where you got your birds. If they had been together before, they may have bonded already, though if they had already split into pairs for sleeping, you'd think that was it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm

KiraEverheart

Hi Kira,

If they are hurting each other, then they are better off being in two seperate cages.

You can always place the cages next to each other, so that the can still see and hear one another.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~