Female zebra has red beak?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Female zebra has red beak?

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi there,

You may or may not know of my two baby Zebs but I had a fawn pied saddleback and a pied CFW and both were hens because the mother was normal grey and the father was black face pied.

Anyway the fawn pied Saddlebacks beak had gone a more red Color, whereas the pied cfws has stayed more orange. I am just wondering why the fawn pied Saddlebacks has gone red? I know it is a girl going by the sex linked genes and also I have never ever heard her sing or attempt to sing and as well as the fact that she has zero tracing of orange on her face (so no tracing of cheek patch at all)

So I am positive it is a girl but I am just wondering why the beak has gone red because usually only the males have red beaks?

I can post pics if needed.

Thanks!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Female zebra has red beak?

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:43 pm

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Flight Feathers

There are a few exceptions, like my white girl Micky....
1478803920355.jpg
1478803920355.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
. When I got her, everyone asured me the she was a he. However the "he" started to lay eggs, lol.

Generally however, most females have orange beaks and legs, while the males have red beaks and legs :) .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:36 am

lovezebs wrote: Flight Feathers

There are a few exceptions, like my white girl Micky....
1478803920355.jpg
. When I got her, everyone asured me the she was a he. However the "he" started to lay eggs, lol.

Generally however, most females have orange beaks and legs, while the males have red beaks and legs :) .
Hi lovezebs , okay thank you! So I guess sometimes the females can have red beaks then! Quite strange tho, is it anything to do with diet or genetics do you know?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 am

Here is a pic of her so you can see her beak Color.
Attachments
image.jpeg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 am

Flight Feathers

My guess would be genetics.

Regarding your little birdie.... :-?? All I can say for sure is, if it lays eggs, then it's a girl.

Pair it up in a nice cage with a nice male, offer good food and a nest, and let me know what happens. :lol: .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:57 am

lovezebs wrote: Flight Feathers

My guess would be genetics.

Regarding your little birdie.... :-?? All I can say for sure is, if it lays eggs, then it's a girl.

Pair it up in a nice cage with a nice male, offer good food and a nest, and let me know what happens. :lol: .
Hi Elana,

Thank you! Well this little finch is already taken but it will hopefully be getting a mate very soon- will let you know if it lays!