Housing species together

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Housing species together

Post by hfinney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

I have a grey singing finch and a pair of firefinches currently in separate cages. I'm looking into adding a pair of gouldians to my collection. Can I house all three of these species together in the same cage (assuming it's a large flight)?

I'm just not finding info on the compatibility of the grey singer, so that's the one I question the most. Currently he's in a divided breeder with the firefinches. They can see each other and their food cups are on the divider, and they don't even seem to notice one another. But before I put them in the cage together, I want to be sure I'm not asking for trouble.

(And yes, if I get some gouldians or new birds, I will quarantine before adding them to the bird room). :)

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Housing species together

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

hfinney I would just say try and hope for the best it’s not even about the species it about the individual birds and how their temperament is

Good luck with ur finches and what sort of gouldians are you getting I’m trying to get a pair at the moment to :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm

I have no idea what I'll get. I'm headed to a pet show this weekend, so I'm going to look and see what's available. It's my 6 yr old daughter who really loves these "rainbow birds" as she calls them, and her favorite is the red-headed.

I may end up with gouldians. Or I may end up with more canaries. Who knows! I love the process of learning about new birds and finding new ones to add to our collection.

Good luck to you!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 pm

hfinney When I bred my Grey Singers, I had one pair to a cage, so I don't know how they would be breeding in a mixed collection. I did have one older pair in a cage with an older pair of Blue-capped Cordon Bleus, and they all got along. I have single males now in mixed cages with other single males of different species without problem. Here is an excellent article on this species:

http://www.cliftonfinchaviaries.org/cfa/grey/gs.htm
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Sally, thank you so much!

I only have one grey singer, so he won't be breeding.

If I have a pair of canaries and a pair of gouldians together in a large flight with NO nests, are they going to try to breed anyway and/or are they going to get snippy with one another because they want to breed?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 pm

hfinney okay that sounds good and bet she will love whatever u get goodluck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm

hfinney - Your gouldians and especially the canaries might still try to breed. They've been known to lay eggs in a seed cup or wherever when the 'time is right'. How big is that cage? And will the grey singer be in the same cage with them? Grey singers and canaries can hybridize. If the little guy should attempt that, your male canary might get aggressive towards him. But there is no sure way of predicting how they will act, if there will be conflict. A lot does depend on the personality of each individual bird.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Iso

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:39 pm

I would not house the Gray Singer with either the Fire Finches or the Gouldians.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Terry
Pip
Pip

Post by Terry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Is it safe to house a single male grey singer in a mixed aviary with Gouldians, owl finches, and star finches ?
I've done some googling on the topic, one site seem to suggest that grey singers are peaceful and can get along with other finches. However, some people don't think they should be mixed with other finches. It's a bit confusing.
I love the song of the grey singer and would love to have a single male in my mixed aviary, but don't want him to kill my other finches.
Sally seems to have success with grey singers with other finches.
Should I give it a try?
Thank you in advance for your advice?
Terry
Terry
3 Gouldians, 2 redfaced parrot finches, 2 owls, 2 stars, 2 St. Helenas, 2 orange cheeks, 2 strawberries.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Terry Yh you can house them depending on size of aviary a lot of people I know with aviarys, infact most of them have a few canary’s in a mixed aviary
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Terry
Pip
Pip

Post by Terry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Thank you, Fraza.
I have a 12'x5'x7' aviary. I have one 3' plant inside it and am planning on adding more bushy plants soon.
Fraza wrote: Terry Yh you can house them depending on size of aviary a lot of people I know with aviarys, infact most of them have a few canary’s in a mixed aviary
Terry
3 Gouldians, 2 redfaced parrot finches, 2 owls, 2 stars, 2 St. Helenas, 2 orange cheeks, 2 strawberries.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Terry you will be fine with it then honestly
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm

I currently have a male grey singer housed with a pair of gouldians and a pair of strawberry finches in a 31" long x 21" wide x 53" high cage. Everyone is getting along. I do have two separate feeding stations, but only one water silo. I've also had him with a canary before and they were fine. Happy little singer. Enjoy his song!

Terry
Pip
Pip

Post by Terry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks, hfinney! That's really encouraging. I will get one at the next bird Mart in my area which is in September.
I will let you all know when I get one.
Thank you all for your advice.
Terry