Lighting Suggestions for Indoor Cage

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
MCiccosanti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Lighting Suggestions for Indoor Cage

Post by MCiccosanti » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm

We have a female gouldian and, up until now, have been putting up a red heat lamp for her each night when we go to bed. I got fed up with the brand of bulbs we were using and, as I was digging around, started seeing some information that led me to get confused.

Does she need a full spectrum bulb all day? I read something saying that if she's not outdoors, we should be doing that. Also, do you have any suggestions for a good quality heat bulb we can be using for her at night. We like using the red bulbs since the back room she's in gets dark at night and I recall seeing they hate not being able to see.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thank You!!

iannarosee
Pip
Pip

Re: Lighting Suggestions for Indoor Cage

Post by iannarosee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Hello!

I have a pair of gouldians indoors. I live in CA so I'm not sure if the temperature makes a difference or not, but I haven't used a heat lamp unless my birds are sick or aren't doing well. I raise others outside, and they have survived our winters without heat (Haha I know thats not saying a lot lol). Since she is used to a heat lamp however, I wouldn’t remove it completely.

Unless she is by a bright window, or is receiving natural light throughout the day, you shouldn't have to provide a light.
Placing their cage by a window is always a good idea :)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:12 am

Birds should have darkness to sleep. Mine are in total darkness, but a little nightlight across the room is ok if yours are prone to startle in th dark.
~Dylan

~~~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:15 pm

MCiccosanti

I see you're in Florida and your cage is indoors - do your birds really need a heat lamp? What is the temperature range? I use a blue bulb at night, because my gouldians are prone to night frights, which can really do some damage. During the day I use the lights from M&M, which are inexpensive and really show your birds' colors. I still have one cage that I need to buy lights for, and the birds in that unlit cage are not nearly as active as the birds in the lit cage. There are lots of great articles on the forum about the effects of lights. I highly recommend lights for indoor birds.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm

MCiccosanti

Ultraviolet light may raise the ratio of female birds and possibly increase clutch size, so it isn't a bad thing; however, full-spectrum light is not absolutely necessary for birds, provided that they are getting enough vitamin D3 through their food. Egg is usually rich in vitamin D, and powdered D3 supplements are easy to provide if need be. debbie276 should be able to help you with full-spectrum lighting.

Heat lamps shouldn't be necessary for birds in warmer areas. The red light is not suitable for night time, as birds can the red clearly. Ceramic heat lamps may be a better option for this reason; moonlight heat lamps could also be suitable. I would keep hold of the lamp, though, as heat is great for ill birds.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:08 pm

MCiccosanti Since you are in Florida and the bird is indoors, I don't think you need a heat lamp at all. I only use a heat lamp for a sick bird. Unless your indoor temps are going below 50 degrees, your bird should be fine without a heat lamp. I don't like a room to be totally dark, just in case of a night fright, but a night light should be enough for that.

Most of the lights we can buy don't really provide enough of the proper light, but you can have an inexpensive light on the cage and supply vitamin D3 to help the bird utilize the calcium in her diet.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org