Showing Society Finches

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Showing Society Finches

Post by Sally » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Icearstorm You can find out about standards for each species at this location:

http://nfss.org/standards/

NFSS members are working on a new standard for Society finches, which should be completed and posted before show season this year. Show season is usually from September to December each year, though a few clubs will have what they call feather shows, which are specifically for young birds hatched this year, and are held earlier in the year. NFSS does not post all the shows on its website, though they will post all the regional shows. Each year, one club from each of the 5 regions will be awarded the regional designation. Points from those shows will be doubled, so those who are working on points will definitely attend the regional shows. I try to post shows on our calendar as I learn about them. When I do post a show or mart, I will specify in the comments whether it is a mart, a show, or both show and mart. NFSS does have a face book page, and shows are usually posted there by the individual show manager.

The NFSS website does have articles on showing and how to prepare for shows. A show cage is not required, but it does help. Since it is enclosed on all but the front and part of the top, the birds stay much calmer. If a bird is too flighty, it hurts its chances to be judged fairly, as it doesn't stay still long enough for the judge to get a good look at it.

I do encourage you to try showing, I love it! It is a chance to get a judge's opinion on your birds, but even better, it is a chance to learn from the judges and other breeders, and it is a great way to network, to meet other breeders, and to make some great new friends in the finch world!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Showing Society Finches

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Sally

Thank you! I was on that page yesterday, but I guess I didn't see the link to the specific standards until now.

Going off of the 2006 society finch standard, it looks like my birds would be best entered as American selfs. The fawns' markings are mostly okay, just lacking some of the lighter boarder around their breast feathers. The chocolate has the pattern and overall coloration more like a European bird, but the smaller size and golden cheek and nape color probably exclude it from being judged with European birds. I like my birds' markings, though, so I don't particularly care about following that category closely. That probably excludes me from becoming a top exhibitor, but I'd rather do something because I personally care, not just because I'm following a rule.

It's conformation I'm most concerned about, as breeding for good conformation should be breeding for better health. I just hope that bird shows don't go the way of dog shows, where physical traits are bred to the extremes, resulting in unhealthy animals.

A show cage would definitely be better; my birds are quite flighty to begin with, and a cage that gives them a sense of security should make cage-training less stressful. However, the "no identifiable marks" rule would prevent me from attaching LEDs to the cage, which is a bit unfortunate.

I definitely need to meet some more breeders; I only have one fertile pair of society finches, and could use some fresh bloodlines.