Taking birds to vet?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Taking birds to vet?

Post by Chimelette » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 am

I didn't really see any posts about it since most people seem to just take their birds to the vet when something is wrong but is it necessary to take them to the vet for a check up shortly after getting them? Or is it safe to say, it's okay to opt out of the check up as long as they don't show any signs of illness? I'm currently a student so the vet bill is pretty daunting.I just got a couple of finches and a canary 3 days ago.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Taking birds to vet?

Post by Fraza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:37 am

I’ve never took a finch or bird to the vets I don’t see the point and I’ve never had one die or get seriously ill through needing medication I saw your picture of your new birds and they look healthy the only thing is that in the future if u get another bird try to quarantine it for atkeast a week or two
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 am

Oh I see. the guy I got my canary from said it was better to put her in sooner rather than later as my finches, especially my zebra might get territorial. :?

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:51 am

Also, I noticed my canary makes clicking noises sometimes and wipes her beak on the perches every now and then. Now I know, that clicking is associated with air sac mites but she's only doing it occassionally and she still chirps. but it still bugs me cause I'm not sure if that's okay behavior. Should I be concerned or is it safe to assume its not a health problem?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Chimelette I wouldn’t think straight away that it’s an illness it’s doubt full Because ur birds look genuinely healthy so they have probably been treated healthy

:mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Chimelette

If you suspect air sac mites, I'd recommend using Ivermectin, SCATT, or S76. The medicine should not harm the birds if it is used as directed, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Chimelette wrote: Also, I noticed my canary makes clicking noises sometimes and wipes her beak on the perches every now and then. Now I know, that clicking is associated with air sac mites but she's only doing it occassionally and she still chirps. but it still bugs me cause I'm not sure if that's okay behavior. Should I be concerned or is it safe to assume its not a health problem?
My canary male makes clicky noises as part of his singing. Are you sure male isnt singing?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Flight Feathers wrote:
Chimelette wrote: Also, I noticed my canary makes clicking noises sometimes and wipes her beak on the perches every now and then. Now I know, that clicking is associated with air sac mites but she's only doing it occassionally and she still chirps. but it still bugs me cause I'm not sure if that's okay behavior. Should I be concerned or is it safe to assume its not a health problem?
My canary male makes clicky noises as part of his singing. Are you sure male isnt singing?
i was wondering that too! The guy said she/he was a female but I read that the beak wiping and clicking is sometimes part of male behavior but I haven't heard him/her sing at all. Just some chirping.

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Chimelette

If you suspect air sac mites, I'd recommend using Ivermectin, SCATT, or S76. The medicine should not harm the birds if it is used as directed, and it's better to be safe than sorry.
I was reading that a lot of people recommend Scatt a lot but unfortunately my local pet stores don't carry it. I'd have to order it and it might take awhile. Is there one that's easily available?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:14 pm

It sounds like normal behavior to me.