Strange Noises from my female Zebra!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
RPatchett
Pip
Pip

Strange Noises from my female Zebra!

Post by RPatchett » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 am

I have 2 female zebras which get along well, the only issue I've ever had with them is that my coloured one (Tiny) grooms my white one (Meep) a bit too intensely, so Meep has a permanent bald spot at the back of her head.

Lately, Tiny has been hanging around the cuttlefish holder making strange noises. But whenever I get close, she stops making the noise. When they have flying time outside the cage she doesn't make the sound either. It's only inside the cage near the cuttlefish holder. Is she trying to call a male to build a nest with her?

I have made this video to show the noises and behaviour but because I had to set the camera up quite far away, you may have to turn the volume up to hear her. The part at the end shows their face markings up close that show both birds definitely look female.

Note that closer to the end of the video, Meep hops up close to the cuttlefish holder and Tiny seems to squawk at her, as if to say, "hey! That's my spot!" and then gives her a gentle nip on the foot to make her move. That seems awfully territorial to me.

I want to remove the cuttlefish holder but I don't want to distress Tiny, so would that be such a bad idea? These are the only finches I've had so I'm a definite newbie!

Thanks in advance! Video is here: https://youtu.be/SDZDqDZYE-c

Or if you would prefer not to click on a link, go to youtube and search for Rachel Patchett - Tiny's Noises.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Strange Noises from my female Zebra!

Post by Fraza » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 am

Maybe that’s her kind of stress perch where she likes to sit by herself you could add a foraging box aswell because she seemed to be pulling the swing like she’s bored and wants something to do maybe she’s being moody cos she’s a little bored
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm

I am seeing nesting behaviors, the pacing, pulling on the swing and beaking the perch, you can remove the holder and use a clothespin to hold up a cuttlebone and the behavior should cease.

Zebras will try to nest anywhere, even places completely unsuitable to make a nest like a cuttlefish holder.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:51 am

Sheather wrote: I am seeing nesting behaviors, the pacing, pulling on the swing and beaking the perch, you can remove the holder and use a clothespin to hold up a cuttlebone and the behavior should cease.

Zebras will try to nest anywhere, even places completely unsuitable to make a nest like a cuttlefish holder.
I agree with Dylan. Your female finch is trying to nest and to deter her from nesting I'd remove the Cuttle fish holder.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

RPatchett
Pip
Pip

Post by RPatchett » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 am

Thank you! I have removed the holder, I will see how this helps her! I appreciate the responses!

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:35 pm

I have a cuttlefish holder the just digs into the one side of the bone and presses against the other, then hooks to the cage. It is smaller, and my bird can hardly perch on it, let alone nest there. Perhaps if you could find such a holder that would work better. It came with the cage I bought off of craigslist so I do not know where it came from or I would say.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon May 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 pm

RPatchett wrote: Thank you! I have removed the holder, I will see how this helps her! I appreciate the responses!
I use pegs as my cuttlefish holders!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds