UPDATE - Nesting on Cuttlefish Holder

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
RPatchett
Pip
Pip

UPDATE - Nesting on Cuttlefish Holder

Post by RPatchett » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 pm

I posted last week about my finch displaying nesting behaviours and trying to nest inside a cuttle fish holder...

Well taking the holder away didn't help her behaviour and it just made her really stressed! So I ended up putting a nest in the cage and she laid 7 eggs! Both females take turns sitting on them and sometimes they sit on the eggs together. If Tiny sits on the eggs then Meep stands guard on the side of the nest.

Is it advisable to just let them look after the eggs for a couple of weeks until they figure out that they are infertile? Or should I take them away now that Tiny has gotten them out?

RPatchett
Pip
Pip

Re: UPDATE - Nesting on Cuttlefish Holder

Post by RPatchett » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Edited to say that there WERE 7 eggs. Two fell out and smashed, leaving 5

then this morning there is an extra egg, so one of the finches are still laying...

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: UPDATE - Nesting on Cuttlefish Holder

Post by Fraza » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:50 am

Well that would be about right they normal lay upto 4 so having 7 would have meant one laid 4 and one laid 3 so that probably right and I have two female zebras now who have laid 9 together and doing what yours are doing incubating etc however I’m leaving them to sit on them about 3/4 weeks then a Gina take away the nest and eggs
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3