Lost power, no heat

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Lost power, no heat

Post by Rocki_finch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi guys! CT resident here, and we lost power from the latest storm.

How can I keep my zebra finches warm and safe?

Thanks for you help, as always!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Lost power, no heat

Post by wildbird » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 pm

I can't think of anything you can do in a house with no power. If it doesn't get too cold in the house, they may adjust to it. Other than that, for short term, they could be moved into your vehicle. Another option would be to get to a motel or friend or relatives house away from where the power failure is. What is the temperature in the house where they are now?

Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Rocki_finch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 am

wildbird It's day 3 with no power, they are huddled together all fluffed up.

We invested in a kerosene heater and put in the hallway so any fumes wouldn't be direct but it gets to the low 40s at night. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, snails (lol..they can stay), and my three zebras... which is a lot to take in for a friend or a hotel.

We had the emergency plan in place, but we forgot to factor how to find warmth at night that won't burn the house down while we sleep. Especially when we have cats and birds in the mix.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:33 pm

Don't worry about the cats and dogs. They can stand cold temperatures. If you have a nest for the birds, I would put that in with nesting material in it. If there is any sun during the daytime that comes in through a window, that will help to warm them too. Be careful of any type of heat that puts out fumes. They can be deadly to you and your birds. If you decide to go somewhere else, take the birds with you. Leave food and water for the cats and dogs and provide blankets or dog beds for them. They can stand a lot more cold than tiny birds that are not used to it can. I hope your power comes on soon.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 am

wildbird

@Rocki_finch

Yes, lot of nests and warm nesting materials. They need refuge/shelter even if inside at those temps. Let us know how it goes