Finches and allergies

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Finches and allergies

Post by limechiffon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

My 11yo son is allergic to birds (along with everything else - cats, dogs, dust, pollen, etc). He does okay with my two zebra finches in the house, but we are babysitting my dad's budgie right now and since that bird has arrived, my son is constantly sneezing and stuffy.

I know some birds have more "dust" than others, but it made me wonder - has anyone discovered one type of finch is better or worse for allergies than another?
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Finches and allergies

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:18 am

limechiffon wrote: My 11yo son is allergic to birds (along with everything else - cats, dogs, dust, pollen, etc). He does okay with my two zebra finches in the house, but we are babysitting my dad's budgie right now and since that bird has arrived, my son is constantly sneezing and stuffy.

I know some birds have more "dust" than others, but it made me wonder - has anyone discovered one type of finch is better or worse for allergies than another?
Not too sure but I imagine budgies and cockatiels and other large birds like that would be more likely for someone to react to. I would assume most finches would be fine tho.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds