Goldbreasted Waxbills care!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Goldbreasted Waxbills care!

Post by Chimelette » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Hello finch friends!
Previously, I had asked which finch species are the smallest and was told that Goldbreasted Waxbills were amongst the smallest. Luckily enough a guy in my area breeds some and I was able to get a hold of a pair! I am so so SO in love with them! They're in quarantine for now but I do have some general waxbill care questions and I wasn't sure which part of the forum to post it in. I have a zebra and a society already so I know the very basics of finch care.

The guy I got them from recommended 15-30 days of time in separate cages but could they be introduced to my other birds sooner? Or is waiting longer more recommended?

1) I've been feeding my zebra and society, seeds, supreme fruit pellets for XS birds + eggfood. I've read that seeds and eggfood are okay for waxbills but do they need anything extra for their diet? Or is what I ha w right now alright?

2) I don't really like nests because I can't take care of babies at the moment but do waxbills need to roost in nests or just silk vine and perches okay?

3) When I'm ready for them to breed, will they be able to care for the babies themselves or would I need to intervene and hand feed them?

4) Are these birds light sensitive? Do they need special lighting to match day and night? My other finches are doing okay with my current schedule so I was hoping I'd be able to keep it the same.

5) Do they need special care outside of what zebras and societies need?

Thank you so much everyone!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Goldbreasted Waxbills care!

Post by Sheather » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Waxbills can survive on the same needs of society or zebra finches. They are difficult to breed and may need live insects to rear their young. They do not need nests to sleep.

However, they need VERY LARGE CAGES to fly, minimum thirty inches long but ideally more, due to their high activity and being a wild, not domesticated species. 30 inches tall is not the same, it needs to be a horizontal dimension. In small cages they quickly gain weight and are prone to pluck each other's feathers out of boredom.
~Dylan

~~~

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Sheather

Thank you again for always being so quick to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. ❤️

Should I wait longer to introduce them to my other birds or is a little sooner?

I'll worry about breeding once I have time and the weather permits!
It's been chilly

I'm definitely going for a new cage update in a couple of weeks.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 am

Chimelette

Congrats on the new waxbills, you've picked what in my opinion is the best beginner waxbill. I would keep them quarantined for at least 2 weeks, and if you can do 4 weeks, even better. To answer your questions:

1) Waxbills all need more protein than Zebras and Societies, even when not breeding. Regular servings of egg food will help with that. I don't use pellets for my waxbills, but I do offer a good finch mix, homemade egg food, veggies, a mineral mix and spray millet. Waxbills also love sprouted/soaked seed, but these items are not necessary if you aren't breeding.

2) No waxbills need nests for sleeping. For them, nests are only for breeding. They will be perfectly fine on a branch/perch or some fake plants.

3) None of the waxbills are as easy to breed as Societies and Zebras, but Goldbreasts are the easiest of the waxbills. They should be able to feed their own young without problem, but they will need extra protein. This is one species that will raise young without live food, though live food increases your chances. Homemade egg food, which is available 24/7, is an absolute must, along with sprouted/soaked seed and spray millet. I provide extra protein with freeze-dried blood worms, like are sold as fish food. These are high in protein, but very lightweight, so they should be mixed in with the egg food.

4) They are not light sensitive, and normally will breed any time of the year, they just need to be brought into breeding condition with an increase in the protein level of their food.

5) As Sheather has said, these little ones are very active, so they need lots of exercise. They do need a bit more care than Societies and Zebras, but they are not difficult at all to keep. Like most waxbills, they love to bathe, so a daily offering of some water in a shallow dish will be welcome. Watch bar spacing on any cage, as they are very sneaky about slipping through any gap that lets them get out, and then they are hard to catch, just because they are so fast.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org