Recommended temperature range?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Recommended temperature range?

Post by Icearstorm » Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I have society finches, and will be going on vacation for a few weeks in a bit. It would be nice if we didn't have to run the AC nonstop, so what temperatures should they be okay with? Would 90°F work? They have a water dish that they can bathe in that is available at all times, so that may be useful.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Recommended temperature range?

Post by wildbird » Sun May 13, 2018 10:30 pm

At 90 my birds would be hot. I would set mine for about 85, but I guess it depends on what your birds are used to.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun May 13, 2018 11:21 pm

wildbird

Thank you! That seems reasonable; my birds are used to 78°F, but seemed comfortable when I had a heater on that brought the temperature up several degrees.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm

My outdoor birds go through the seasons with no heating or air conditioning - although both are available in the event of really extreme conditions.
Temps can go as low as 28F in winter or 105F in a summer heat wave.
The space just needs to be dry and draft free in winter with plenty of fresh water available in summer for bathing.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Paul's Amazing Birds

They have a modified water dish that is allows them to bathe without pooping all over it, so they should be fine as far as water goes. The problem is, it's quite humid here (probably around 70%), which could interfere with cooling down.